Oil Boiler Replacement...

Gasman1015 said:
To join OFTEC at this point in time is a matter of choice, i.e voluntary, just as it used to be with CORGI, but now we have to be CORGI registered.

Gottcha, I'm with you now :oops:

I have recently completed my OFTEC course/exam and was led to beleive that I could not work until I had my cert back and joined OFTEC for £210 individual & £510 business reg + vat !

Sponsored Links
Someone has been telling porkies then, I think they are just another bunch of money grabbers and I will hold out till I have no choice or they lower their prices, they also lead people to believe that certain manufacturers will just give you a £250 voucher towards your registration, but that turned out to be hogwash, unless you had done your training with the particular manufacturer.

When we did our OFTEC certs the training centre presented us with a voucher which covered our Oftec reg for 5 years or business registration. Can't remember which.

Gasman1015 said:
Someone has been telling porkies then, I think they are just another bunch of money grabbers and I will hold out till I have no choice or they lower their prices, they also lead people to believe that certain manufacturers will just give you a £250 voucher towards your registration, but that turned out to be hogwash, unless you had done your training with the particular manufacturer.

All the CORGI guys on the course said OFTEC were money grabbing bas*ards!! But that also CORGI was !! :LOL:

The single person reg fee for OFTEC has just gone up, it was £200 +vat and the business reg was £480 +vat. Although we did get a voucher for £250 off the business reg (not for doing the training with them), it's still a lot of money every 5 years, plus the threat of an inspection. And as I said these fees have just gone up ! :evil:

I've got my voucher and am waiting to get the pass cert so that I can pop into OFTEC (yes I do live just 10 mins away so should save something on P&P) and reg with them. Then there is liability insurance etc :rolleyes:

Just have to charge up the punters to get it all back :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Quite cheap then! Don't forget that with time off for the training and exams it usually costs us CORGI's around £5500 every 5 years :eek:

I don't see it like that Dave. OFTEC cost £169.20 per year and they want it five years up front, and you have to be re-assessed every five years, plus the fact that it is voluntary unlike CORGI.

It costs me just £2,400, including lost time, every five years for Corgi re-assessment, how do you manage to spend £5,500.

Core + 4 appliances, lpg conversion, part P electrics, approx, probably 8 working days lost in total (£2400 on its own!)

Back to the original question;

Im OFTEC registered; 101/102 & 105E

Im sick :evil: of going out to boilers that have been installed by in competent installers. Its about time the law was changed [same as Corgi] to prevent those that think they can install an oil boiler cause its the same as an gas appliance. :confused:

The amount of times I have been asked to commision a new oil boiler installation; only to find that the installation manual has not been followed; get to the job to find the boiler has been in operation for months and not commisioned first; the installer not bothered to connect the appliance to the oil pipe; the fire valve being in the wrong position [if fitted at all] the list is endless. :rolleyes:

I dont install. service. or repair gas appliances because Im not Corgi registered; so please tell me why those that dont have the necessary qualifications; install Oil boilers.

So who says you dont have to be OFTEC registered... All you Corgi guys moan on about having to be registered...

Rant over...... :)

I do.

So you think because i'm CORGI I am not qualified to fit oil boilers, in fact I have my OFT101/102/600a, which in my book says you cannot install tanks or oil supply, and no, I am not OFTEC registered, don't need to be.

Incompetent people install/repair and service gas boilers as well as oil boilers.

Rant over.

Ok... :) If your not oftec registered! How do you 'notify' your installations?

Either through Local Authority or !

When I took my training and exams; it permitted me to install and connect oil pipes. Im also 105E; so I can commission my work and others! :D

moliver34 said:
Ok... :) If your not oftec registered! How do you 'notify' your installations?

Either through Local Authority or !

When I took my training and exams; it permitted me to install and connect oil pipes. Im also 105E; so I can commission my work and others! :D

Don't want to be picky :rolleyes:

But 105e is for installations, the 101 is for service/repairs/commissioning.

600 tank installation.

;)

moliver34 said:
Im sick :evil: of going out to boilers that have been installed by in competent installers. Its about time the law was changed [same as Corgi] to prevent those that think they can install an oil boiler cause its the same as an gas appliance. :confused:

Well just stop working on them if the stress is too much. You don't have to get emotionally involved, you just have to see if it's been installed properly, say what's wrong, say you can set it up, but because it's not right, you can't "commission" it.

The amount of times I have been asked to commision a new oil boiler installation; only to find that the installation manual has not been followed; get to the job to find the boiler has been in operation for months and not commisioned first; the installer not bothered to connect the appliance to the oil pipe; the fire valve being in the wrong position [if fitted at all] the list is endless. :rolleyes:

It's such a drag being perfect, Softus has the same problem with people on this site :evil:

I dont install. service. or repair gas appliances because Im not Corgi registered; so please tell me why those that dont have the necessary qualifications; install Oil boilers.

The "qualifications" are hardly stretching are they.

So who says you dont have to be OFTEC registered...

It is not significant that there is nothing that says you DON'T have to be registered, what's significant is that there is nothing in law that says you DO have to be registered.

It is not significant that there is nothing that says you DON'T have to be registered, what's significant is that there is nothing in law that says you DO have to be registered.

Until at the latest the end of this year... then they will have to OFTEC registered like CORGI.

Watch out for the news...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back