Oil boiler smells, no sign of leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Moved into a house with a Grant oil boiler a year ago. I swear I can smell smoke/burned oil throughout the house. Problem is, I’m the only one that can smell it, and neither myself or the heating engineer can find a leak.

To summarise:
- I’m an aircraft engineer, I’m certain I can clearly detect the smell of burned kerosene
- The wife, visitors and the heating engineer say they cannot
- No signs of drips or leakage anywhere in the boiler
- No signs of soot anywhere in the boiler
- CO alarm always reads zero
- Only thing I can think of is the flexible vent duct is secured to the exhaust by a wire wrapped round it. I’ve tried to improve the seal myself using heatproof tape, not sure if it helped.

Not really sure where to turn next. I swear the house smells like a 747 maintenance hangar, but I think the heating engineer has done all he can.
Replacing the boiler seems like a big gamble, I’m vaguely considering an ASHP as I’m a little worried about the long term effects of possible combustion gases in the house.

Can anyone suggest any other troubleshooting steps, anything I might have missed?

Sponsored Links
Is it a balanced flue, maybe flue gas leaking into the air intake?, are the flue gas readings normal?

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t believe it’s a balanced flue; the boiler is indoors and there’s no air intake outside the building.

I would be surprised if the air intake is internal, can you post a photo of the actual air intake at the boiler, is the boiler in a container?

Sponsored Links
If its got the grey flexible air duct it's balanced flue.
The clamp has altered in last couple of years it's now just a large jubilee type clip.
Grant flues are totally stainless with high grade seals I've installed many yet to see a problem.
Some clear pictures of flue externally would be useful.
We tend to fit a plume kit with these boilers as a matter of course.

Gotcha, ok thanks.

I’m away from home so can’t take a pic right now, but the exhaust is as you describe, standard stainless steel type.

The clamp is a thin wire type jubilee clip, I taped round one end of the clamp as it looked secured but not airtight.

The exhaust is down a side of the house that does get quite a lot of wind, I wonder if there might be backdraft into the intake or pushing fumes out where the flexible hose meets the back of the external exhaust cowl?

Check the flexible hose. If its still the braided stainless as supplied with the boiler these sometimes break down and weep, not always enough to make a puddle.
Did your guy pull the burner out and check all round it?
As you probably know, you need a tiny amount of oil to make a lot of smell.

I’m an aircraft engineer, I’m certain I can clearly detect the smell of burned kerosene

As an aside, I live near an RAF airport in west London. My lungs don't like the smell of the burned kerosene from the jets. Fortunately, prevailing winds mean that I seldom have to smell them.

It is a very distinctive small though. I have however become more sensitive to the smell since I abused my lungs by using 2K paints without respiratorators.

With respect, is it possibly the case that you can detect something that smells a bit like something that smells like something else?

Edit- in no way am I being condescending or intentionally being dismissive.

I have a 18 year old kerosene fuelled Firebird in a externally housed heatpac, a steel box, and from day 1 I always get a smell of Kero from the low level flue after the burner cuts out.

As an aside, I live near an RAF airport in west London. My lungs don't like the smell of the burned kerosene from the jets. Fortunately, prevailing winds mean that I seldom have to smell them.

It is a very distinctive small though. I have however become more sensitive to the smell since I abused my lungs by using 2K paints without respiratorators.

With respect, is it possibly the case that you can detect something that smells a bit like something that smells like something else?

Edit- in no way am I being condescending or intentionally being dismissive.
Yeah I’ve been racking my brains trying to think of secondary explanations like this. Am I overly sensitive to it? Am I mistaking it for a different smell? Totally imagined?

Yeah I’ve been racking my brains trying to think of secondary explanations like this. Am I overly sensitive to it? Am I mistaking it for a different smell? Totally imagined?
Don't want to worry you, but smelling things that aren't there can be a bad sign. George Gershwin could smell non-existing burning rubber, and he had a brain tumour. Highly unlikely that's the explanation in your case, but it does happen.

Don't want to worry you, but smelling things that aren't there can be a bad sign. George Gershwin could smell non-existing burning rubber, and he had a brain tumour. Highly unlikely that's the explanation in your case, but it does happen.

Wow, why were you sacked as a lifestyle coach?

…I can smell burning kerosene when I stand next to my kerosene-burning appliance…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back