Oil boiler - Worcester/Firebird/Warmflow - which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Hoping for some quick advice - having a new oil boiler installed (along with replacing all rads) for a 4 bed house. My plumber has recommended either a Worcester, Firebird, or Warmflow - I've heard of Worcester and Firebird.

He reckons that the actual innards of all three are very similar and he's a fan of the firebirds - however he's not being very pushy so the choice is left to us and I'd be interested in your views on reliability etc! :)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've recently fitted a Firebird and a Grant oil boiler to two seperate jobs.... I won't be rushing to fit another Firebird but at least they are easier to service than some Worcesters...

Sponsored Links
I don't like any condensing model, but the Warmflow design is closest to the Grant, which I know works. The latest design Worcester does too but as CG mentioned it's fiddly to service so you'll need an engineer who can be bothered to do a proper job come service time.

Warmflow are reasonably priced and I have fitted a few.
No problems so far.
Worcester are overpriced.

Grant for me every time. Worcester are a pig to work on and take longer (extra service cost), Firebirds have had some problems sooting photocells (breakdown) and Warmflows need the secondary heat exchanger gasket changing near enough every service (extra service cost). Not had any real problems with Grant so far.

Avoid combi if possible and go with an unvented cylinder. Tad dearer but worth it.

Grant for me every time. Worcester are a pig to work on and take longer (extra service cost), Firebirds have had some problems sooting photocells (breakdown) and Warmflows need the secondary heat exchanger gasket changing near enough every service (extra service cost). Not had any real problems with Grant so far.

Avoid combi if possible and go with an unvented cylinder. Tad dearer but worth it.

Yes go for an unvented cylinder if you can. They will last much longer than a combi as the burner isn't getting hammered each time you turn the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back