Firebird oil boiler any good?

Hopefully you didn't believe the hype and go with Firebird. If you did, since this thread is 3 years old, you will now need to buy a new boiler no doubt.

Trouble is, you have to trust somebody... interestingly, the oil pump has just failed, so you may be right :cry:

There again, my parents, cousin etc have had Firebirds for many years without such problems.

Sponsored Links
I'm about t have mine replaced. The expense will hurt me but I can't be doing with the constant repairs, which started the week it was installed brand new. Various valves needed to be replaced before it would work. I suspect it was a lemon. Either way I'm not throwing good money after bad and had someone come this afternoon to give me a quote to replace the rubbish. The scrap man will be delighted.

Ouch. Well mine's been OK for 3 years apart from this oil pump failure, touch wood... wish I could have gas :mad:

Of course, the burner (which contians the oil pump and msot of the "gubbins" is Riello, and is I suspect fitted to other makes of oil boiler too...

Good luck (y)

I'm about t have mine replaced. The expense will hurt me but I can't be doing with the constant repairs, which started the week it was installed brand new. Various valves needed to be replaced before it would work. I suspect it was a lemon. Either way I'm not throwing good money after bad and had someone come this afternoon to give me a quote to replace the rubbish. The scrap man will be delighted.
I just picked up after reading your other post. I can only think of one valve on a Firebird heat only boiler, that is the solenoid valve on the oil pump. If a combi, there are two non return valves, one on each pump. You can hardly blame the boiler manufacturer for an oil pump failure, but often this is down to other factors like fuel quality and fuel supply.

Sponsored Links
often this is down to other factors like fuel quality and fuel supply.

Oh that's interesting... is there a difference between the tankers then? I thought it all came from the same refinery - maybe that's naive...

My plumber rates the Firebirds, but syas he's had to replace quite a few oil pumps on them.

I just picked up after reading your other post. I can only think of one valve on a Firebird heat only boiler, that is the solenoid valve on the oil pump. If a combi, there are two non return valves, one on each pump. You can hardly blame the boiler manufacturer for an oil pump failure, but often this is down to other factors like fuel quality and fuel supply.
When valves needed to be replaced before the boiler was a week old, I'd say that was a problem. IIRC they were water valves. First I couldn't turn off the heating when I had it installed in August, then I couldn't get hot water unless I had the heating on. I don't expect this from a brand new installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back