Best external oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at having my current oil boiler replaced (wall mounted Camray 5 external) and was wondering what the best would be to replace with. I want to first have it floor standing and second keep it outside so external. From what I can see the Grant boilers seem to be quite problematic but has been recommend as a replacement. From what I can gather the Worcester Greenstar has some really good reviews anyone have comments on this...The choices I've seen:

Worcester
Firebird
Thermsaver
Grant

Sponsored Links
Both Worcester and Grant are good units.

The Worcester External has a nicer looking and better made case but is a pig to work on.

We fit Worcester in the main, because their 5 year parts and labour warranty is very good. Some here don't like them, but I am happy recommending Worcester or Grant.

Don't think much of the local Grant service agent though - mind you, they pay very low rates, so they can't afford to be too fussy. Worcester's back up is all in house, they have invested a lot in support and it shows.

Go for the Local Boiler - The Grant their service is excellent
independant and factory engineers cover the UK
I cover E.Anglia we recieve excellent factory training and I do not get paid peanuts either! excellent boilers! ;)

Sponsored Links
Firebird are the best external boilers. We've had loads of Grant boilers leaking & WB don't have quality parts fitted any more.

Thx for the advice I'm doing a bit more research in to it all...I have come across quite a lot of problems on the Grant boilers online mostly around leaks and pumps, some having them replaced p to 5 times in 2 years etc. Not much fault reporting on the Worcester (online) but what I could find seems to be price for spares and repairs are higher.

@Tibbot nothing really just that we want a combi boiler to get rid of all the water tanks, 3 in all taking up some valuable space.

nothing really just that we want a combi boiler to get rid of all the water tanks, 3 in all taking up some valuable space.

Don't take this the wrong way as I don't intend it as an insult, but if you prematurely ditch any Camray for a condensing combi then you need your head felt.

:LOL: tough skinned believe me

guess this is the point really is to get ideas and recommendations, our other option is of course to keep the Camray but move the tanks that aren't already in the loft to the loft...

:idea: Why not install an Unvented Hot WAter Cylinder this will get rid of the CWS Tank seal the existing Heating System, this will get rid of the F&E Cistern Result= The Dry Loft you want a Good boiler with a lot more life in it a good supply of DHW at mains pressure with non of the draw backs of a Combi!! ;)

Sat in on a plumber doing a service at one of our properties this week (of a 12 month old Grant which has worked just dandy), and he recommends a split boiler.

This puts the oil bits on the outside of the wall, and the water pipework inside (obviously linked through the wall). Oil side is serviced from outside, so no mess or inevitable smell.

This removes the risk of freezing by keeping the water inside the house, and thus the need of the big jacket.

Alas, don't recall any brands, but it struck me as a good idea. I think his recommendation came a lot from him wanting to install and play with the idea as he's never actually done one yet.

Like an HRM Wallstar perhaps?

This doesn't really locate the boiler outside. The internal presence is still as large as an internal gas boiler.

HRM have their devotees, I'm not one of them.

They are cheap though.

HRM have their devotees, I'm not one of them.

I don't like them either.

Having had to reaplce a failed water jacket on one this week - neither am I irt was a bustard of a job!!! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back