Oil boiler X-Factor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please cast your votes for a new oil boiler for my customer.

Why he's asking me I have no idea, since I won't be installing it, but this is what my customer said:

I have decided to avoid having a condensing boiler, provided I can find a non condensing one with a SEDBUCK B rating or better. There are significant reliability issues with Condensing boilers that I am concerned about, hence why I am choosing to avoid one. If you know of a good high efficiency Non Condensing oil fired boiler I would be interested. I think Potterton make one.

So, which boiler is the Chris Moyles, and which the Rebecca Loos?

Sponsored Links
Most current oil boilers are good on eff figs. Typical is 92% net. Something like the Grant Multipass, Worcester Danesmoor, etc. Potterton Statesman is ok, except for its ceramic baffles which break when you try t remove them for cleaning.

If you use the SEDBUK figures, the payback time for a condensing oil boiler is much more than 6 years, but then they've capped the figures. If you use real figures, the payback time is much longer.

As for your question, why not ask a straight one? :rolleyes:

Best in the sedbuk list is a C. Maybe he needs to learn how it's spelled.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
As for your question, why not ask a straight one? :rolleyes:
Is that a wind-up? I didn't think that it could be any straighter than reproducing the words that he's just Emailed me.

Thanks for the shortlist of good ones - I'll pass them on forthwith :)

There are no Non-condensing boilers in Band A or B.

Just in case he wants to change his mind about condensing boilers, the VAT is only 5% and not 17.5%, makes a big difference on a few thousand pounds. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
...........So, which boiler is the Chris Moyles, and which the Rebecca Loos?

You mean HE asked this question? If he did, he doesn't deserve much help IMO.

One of the really useful ones is the HRM Wallstar, and the company have exemplary after sales support.

As DIA says there are no band B oil boilers, but thats because the scumbags have fiddled it to suit the inefficient gas industry by capping the efficiency figures. I see the real figures in the field, and they are a LOT better than band C.

A non-condensing oil boiler is as efficient as a condensing gas boiler, so the lobbyists have been at it again. I work with facts, not political fiction.

Reduced rate on VAT on boilers at only 5% ?

Whilst I agree that energy saving controls are still subject to a reduced rate of VAT at 5% I dont think that applies to oil or gas boilers !!!

It does apply to wood or straw burning boilers as they use sustainable energy but not to fossil fuel burners!

Tony Glazier

You are correct of course Tony, VAT is reduced to 5% on controls, and applies to equipment and installation costs.

So for every £2500.00 you spend on heating controls you get a free boiler :eek: :rolleyes:

doitall said:
You are correct of course Tony, VAT is reduced to 5% on controls, and applies to equipment and installation costs.

So for every £2500.00 you spend on heating controls you get a free boiler :eek: :rolleyes:

bargain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back