oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grant Multipass 140/160 boilerhouse which has not been running for a couple of years now due to extension and oil tank location etc. Ive just put 45 gallons of oil in the tank last weekend and fired it up. It run all day last Saturday and Sunday and then just stopped. It now wont fire up and the red light just wirrs and then comes back on so its not even firing.
Ive raised the tank a bit and have got oil at the burner end. I think there might have been sludge in the tank as its been standing a couple of years. Would this stop it from trying to fire? A bit lost as to what to try so any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
a 160,000 Btu boiler will burn approx 1.4gallons of oil per hour so it is probable that you have used 45 gallons of oil why not arrange a fill up properly i.e 500 gallons!! ;)

Sponsored Links
I pumped the oil back out of the tank yesterday to make it lighter so I could raise it up a bit. Dont have anyone to help lift it so its a struggle on my own. I suppose about 25 gallons came back out with the remainder below barrel pump level. The boiler is way overspec for a 3 bed house but I only want it to carry me through this winter. The plastic tank is up on blocks so doesnt comply with regs but the place is a virtual building site at the moment. I dont think a driver would be allowed pump into it. :cry: Could there be air in the burner pump. I dont want to lash out on more oil if the boiler is kaput.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back