Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys - I have a Potterton boiler which at the moment runs on 28sec oil. Can I re-jet it to run on red diesel and if so what jet rating would I need? Also, are there any down sides doing this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You should be able to alter the nozzzle and re set the pressure and air intake so it will run ok on 35sec oil if ok with potterton, some models arnt suitable for 35 sec such as balanced flues.

Thanks COG.

Now I know RD is 35sec I will check the manual. I have a conventional flue so it sounds like it should be OK.

Just out of interest, I assume by its rating 35sec oil will burn slightly slower than 28sec oil but what does the second rating mean? I know a BTU is the amount of heat needed to raise a pound of water by 1 degree but seconds and oil?

Its a measure of the viscosity.

Its probably how long it takes for a British Standard ball to drop through 10 feet of the oil or something equally difficult to measure. Presumably at a standard temperature.

Chris or Oilman will look up the exact defination shortly.

Heating Oil is I presume subject to 5% VAT if its for domestic use so you will be evading VAT using tractor oil! The Customs and Revenue will be round later.

Tony

28sec and 35sec are the old names for the oil, they are now referred to class C2 and class D oils. If it doesn't say you can change to class D oil in your instruction book, you shouldn't do it. If you've got an instruction book, why haven't you read it? If you haven't got an instruction book, ring Potterton or download one.

excuss me for being a party poooooooper but should we be encouraging the poster to break the law :eek:

Who's doing anything of the sort? Nobody has said what purpose the boiler will be used for.

oilman said:
Who's doing anything of the sort? Nobody has said what purpose the boiler will be used for.

Fair comment, it won't be used for keeping the tractor driver warm though will it ??

Wonder if you could fill the oil tank with Rape seed :rolleyes:

You could if you're rich, but rape oil can be sold for £3/litre bottled.

oilman said:
28sec and 35sec are the old names for the oil, they are now referred to class C2 and class D oils. If it doesn't say you can change to class D oil in your instruction book, you shouldn't do it. If you've got an instruction book, why haven't you read it? If you haven't got an instruction book, ring Potterton or download one.

I have read it but up until now I did not know that RD was 35sec or class D.

Just to clear up, when I moved into the property some 10years ago there was an existing oil boiler. It was fed from a tank that was also used for farm plant. The boiler packed up & was replaced with one that burnt 28sec oil I had a new 5,000 ltr tank installed in a more convenient place and thats how it is now. The old tank has long gone because it was full of holes.

I now want to go back and use one tank of oil for the boiler and some small farm plant but I wasn't aware of the tax implication.

So bearing that in mind, the question I should have asked is can I run my tractor on heating oil, tax paid and what heating oil is equivalent to red diesel.

You need to speak to Potterton, and use class D oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back