Oil burner fuel leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 oil fired boiler. It starts up just fine and provides hot water and rads warm up ok. After about 15 mins the burner switches off ok but then fuel oil begins to drip from the bottom of the pump (BFP 41 L3) and continues to drip until I pull the button out on the fire valve. Any ideas, please?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Popular spots for these are the centre spindle oil seals leaking, and also the pressure adjustment Allen screw port- assuming the pipe connections are ok.
John :)

99.9% the centre shaft seal on pump. Removing the pump will confirm. Undo the nozzle feed pipe and release the pump by loosening the hub screws. If the drive socket is wet, then the pump will need replacing. This will require re-commissioning with the pressure being set, and combustion set with an analyser. Also, with the pump removed, check the motor bearing has not been goosed with the oil contamination. It should have no 'friction ' sound. If it has, and you replace the pump without any attention, the motor will start to scream very soon.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I've noted what you've recommended regarding the shaft seals. But what I must add to my original post is that I replaced the pump and solenoid back in August 2017 and for weeks it ran as it should...no leaking at all. Then about a week ago this fuel seeping began.

New pump don't mess about that will stop the leak and while you're about it put a new oil hose on too belt and braces.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back