Bleed my Boiler???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a worcester 15/19 oil fired boiler pump is a bfp 41 L3.

I run out of oil and had some more put in. Now after 4 days the boiler goes into lockout after about 10 - 15 secs of running.

Could air have got into the system or somthing more serious?

Sponsored Links
oil line could need venting

oil pump could need venting

oil filter could need cleaning

nozzles could need cleaning

Turn the tank valve off (boiler off too) and check the paper or gauze filter for rusty dirt and water. Replace after cleaning. If this was filthy it could be worth checking the fine mesh filter in the pump.
I'm pretty sure the filter in this pump is below a single allen screw, with a picture of a filter on.
Undo the flexible pipe at the burner. Put the end of the pipe in a bottle or similar and get someone to turn the oil on.
Have the tank valve turned off when the oil is flowing clear of air bubbles.
Connect the pipe to the pump and try for a start. The pump should vent itself ok, but if it doesn't, crack open the port marked P when the burner is trying to run.
The nozzle has its own very fine sintered filter - leave this be at this stage.
Hope this helps!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just hit the restart button and it has been going for the last 30 mins or so.............
Its sounds pretty uneven and rough though. Saying that it always sounded uneven and rough but defo a bit more so now.

I couldn't crack the bleed valve on the oil pump it was solid and would not budge. I did unscrew the oil filter though and the oil came running through no probs.

might be a good idea to get someone in to service it!

That sounds like a good idea - especially if its showing a bit of fume outside. If this has a balanced flue, sometimes leaving the burner cover off makes it a bit smoother in the interim.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back