OIL Combi Boiler sited on second floor, tricky but possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I know installing an oil appliance on the second floor is not the best place but does fall within the regs! It is taking the place of an airing cupboard and cylinder Y plan set-up.
The suction head would be about 2.5 -3 meters. Was going to add a Tiger Loop to aid de-aeration but can a boiler pump raise this height without bad wear and tear? An oil lifter would add quite a bit to the over all price in time and labour. What does a 10mm check valve look like as I assume it would also need this in the oil line?
OILMAN...where are you!

Sponsored Links
You would be far better using an oillifter!!
BM make one but they are pricey!! I paid £300 for one last year!

Sponsored Links
There are other cheaper makes of oil lifter to BM - we were using a company in Surrey - Chertsey I think - who market a Japanese one.

You must consult the manufacturer instructions re maximum head but it is likely you will need the lifter. Building Control should be consulted for permission to install if the 2nd floor is in a loft area ie Conversion.

Horizontal flue should not cause a problem at this height!

I suppose you have considered an outdoor module as an option?

Yes it will work, I did it years ago on a job with a tigerloop but you could do it with a single pipe with a non return valve, they work on the Grandee wall mounted boilers with they say a modified danfoss pump but it looked like a bog standard BFP 11. Just don't run out of oil or you'll have to reprime the line.

Do these pumps run on float swtiches and holding chambers then? Doe sthe boler have anb interlock?

Probably basic questions I know; but am thinking of branching out - and fuel supply is something I know knaff all about.

A lifter is the better option but the cheaper way is the tiger loop
It will lift 2.5-3 meters

What is the floor made of??
Iwill look in my garage i took a lifter out on a job a while back
if i still have it i will send it to you ;)

A lifter is the better option but the cheaper way is the tiger loop
It will lift 2.5-3 meters

What is the floor made of??
Iwill look in my garage i took a lifter out on a job a while back
if i still have it i will send it to you
If you are not joking that would be a great offer! The floor I believe is concrete slab as its an industrial building, not a cosy country cottage. I have never seen a 10mm non-return valve for the oil line, do these exist?

They come in 3/8 BSP !
You have to adapt to copper!!
Cat no 11640 BES.
www.bes.co.uk

IF you go down the tigerloop road remember that if it is to be fitted internally it must be one designed for internall use!!
Problem with ones I have encountered is that they are not self priming so you need a pump!!
You would be better getting advice from an OFTEC reg tech on site!!
Most commissions that I do have major installation faults that need rectification!
If they had asked advise before installing this would save both time and money!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back