oil combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I serviced a boiler and stopped 3 leaks on fill loop side and put leak sealer in to stop a weep above central heating pumps. All leaks now cured but boiler appears to trip out on earth when hot water pump kicks in, is pump faulty only the two pumps appear to be on same mount or could something else cause this, I have left boiler working fine with just central heating.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said, but I bet this is a Warmflow boiler. The usual leaks come from the DHW exchanger when the fibre washers on the secondary water supply fail. I've seen this happen three times now. If you are very lucky, you can take off the terminal box, sit with a hair dryer for half an hour or so, and you may dry it out. Chances are though that the connector will have established a permanent track. If it is a Warmflow, then you need to purchase a Grundfos 15-60 and change the head. On the last one that I had to repair, I doctored a couple margarine tubs to cover the terminal boxes to stop future leaks from repeating the problem.
Out of interest, Warmflow reckon you should fit a 3 bar pressure reducing valve on the cold inlet to alleviate this problem.

Dear Oilhead, on the button it is a warmflow green kabin kit 90 and I was asked to service the burner, it is just over two years and inside it looks 20 years, the exchange plate is covered in green copper sulphate and lots of pipe covered in sulphate, but as you have said now I have stopped the leaks it is tracking along this sulphate. The boiler works fine until the hot water pump kicks in and then ping off goes earth trip, thing is why didn't it kick while everything was wet?

Once there is moisture on these pump terminal boxes, it takes a little time for it to work its way through to the multi connector. If you had been a day later with your service, then it probably would have happened before you arrived, but try telling the customer that.
It's worth changing all the washers on the secondary water, after cleaning all the scale away, and also looking at protecting the pump heads.
The numbers on the pump head are a little different to the single pump, but Grundfos told me they are the same when I had to replace one last Christmas.

Sponsored Links
Warmflow INSIST on using RUBBER washers on the plate HE and blending valve- these are useless once out of warranty we strip them out and fit FIBRE washers which are far more reliable!! I have had many conversations with Warmflow about this but they will not change to fibre :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about a 2 year boiler looking like 20! we have loads of em that look exactly the same :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back