Oil filled radiator v oil fired central heating?

Joined
27 Jan 2008
Messages
29,593
Reaction score
3,649
Location
Llanfair Caereinion, Nr Welshpool
Country
United Kingdom
Heart of winter, will need central heating, no question, but when entering and leaving will the oil filled radiator do a better job?

I am sure a 750 watt oil filled radiator will maintain the temperature in my living room and for 16 hours, assuming 8 hours spent in bed, even if on for whole of 16 hours, that's £3 a day at 25p/kWh so it is unlikely it will not cycle on/off so it would seem cheaper to using the central heating.

Thoughts, please.
 
We had oil fueled radiators in the old house back in the 70s when i was growing up: the tank was a metal monstrosity that smelled wrong. Moved to a house where the rad's are gas fuelled, as nature intended. Much cleaner.
 
I was talking about oil filled no fuelled, the oil stores some of the heat, so although the heater is switching on/off with a mark/space ratio, it feels as if it is always heating.

Although a fan heater will heat the room, we feel cold as soon as the fan turns off, heaters are better if we can't tell if on or off, I find that room temperature is really odd, I am sitting now in a room showing 17.7ºC and I am feeling comfortable, but same in the evening I feel cold.

Also the reverse can be true, turn on an uncontrolled heater, and one can sit in a room at 32ºC and feel just cosy, but same temperature in summer, and the sweat would be rolling off one, and one gets out the AC, only after leaving the room and returning do you realised how hot it is.

I know some is down to radiant heat, I know 19ºC was ample when we had tungsten lamps, but with LED lamps looking at more like 22ºC at least in the evening, but more to the point here, is all the rooms in the house except for living room can drop to 15ºC without it feeling cold, as long as the living room is warm.

But then the question is if the central heating is efficient heating just one room? We had a 20 kW oil boiler non modulating heating two at best 2 kW radiators, plus the DHW, the radiator TRV valves are likely reducing the radiators output so likely the percentage of heat going into pipes and so rest of house, and also out of the flue, means the boiler is not very efficient at such a low output.

With a gas boiler I could read gas meter and see what it uses, but with oil measuring height of oil in tank is not accurate enough, all I can do is measure run time.

So 16 hours at 750 watt = 0.6 hours run time for the boiler, once fired up, boiler tends to run even height of summer 20 minutes, or 0.3 hours and it would fire up more than twice a day. For a thermal circulations to start the radiators need to be warms for maybe ½ an hour, but oil is still cheaper than electric.

But considering all of this, it seems likely Autumn and Spring the oil filled radiator may work out cheaper. Heart of Winter no option central heating required as want some heat in all rooms, but Autumn and Spring when not all that cold outside, the oil filled radiator may be a better idea, specially if between the two easy chairs, so heating occupants and room not a cold outside wall, who ever thought a good place for radiators is under a window I don't know.

My hope is someone else has done this before, and I can learn from them.
 
We had oil fueled radiators in the old house back in the 70s when i was growing up: the tank was a metal monstrosity that smelled wrong. Moved to a house where the rad's are gas fuelled, as nature intended. Much cleaner.
I think you'll find all central heating radiators are water filled. The options for heating the water are natural gas, heating oil and (rarely) electricity. There is no such thing as an "oil fueled" radiator, or a gas fueled one for that matter. If your oil tank was "smelly" then it probably had a leak and should have been replaced by a modern double walled plastic one.
There are oil FILLED radiators but these are heated by electricity
 
The oil filled radiators can give a gentle, constant heat and keep a room dry and comfortable. But the more heat you want, the more electricity you will use,and it is an expensive source of energy.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top