Oil flow stopped.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts, there is no oil coming down the pipe--plenty in the tank but nothing at the boiler or back at the stop valve, I loosened the nuts to check :eek:
It's a fairly new titan tank so I hope it was clean.
This only happened a few hours ago.--could it be anything to do with the thaw we are now having?
The system has been fine all through the cold weather and was ok at lunch time. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I did that and there is nothing coming out--well I say nothing -maybe a few drops and that's it. :(
That's why I wondered if maybe some damp had got in somehow and then partially frozen.
The line is above ground and it's about a 15metre run to the boiler but I would have expected a freeze up when it was colder as it's positively balmy weather now.
Can't do any more tonight so I'll have to sort it tomorrow---cant be too hard, the oil is in the tank but not coming down the pipe--should be easy enough :eek: :eek:

What - nothing coming out of the tank valve :eek: ?
A recent tank - or an old one for that matter - shouldn't have anything blocking it up.....sure there's oil in there? Rely you not on tank gauges!
John :)

Sponsored Links
No, nothing from the tank valve, the float is in the oil, the tank is 3/4 full. I checked visually because the watchman is always having a break so I look ;)
Maybe there's a filter in the valve that's blocked. I'll have a look in the morning.

Maybe there's crud in the valve. Take out the filter, put the bowl back on and connect a pipe to the outlet. Then use something to blow back into the tank.

The filter is after the valve...I think I'd be reaching for the compressed air line to blow it through.
I certainly wouldn't be unscrewing the valve! Lets know what you find.
John :)

Blowing into a tank through a blocked valve with a compressed air line strikes me as dangerous. You only need a hand pump.

Blowing into a tank through a blocked valve with a compressed air line strikes me as dangerous. You only need a hand pump.

It also depends on the pressure used and method of connection.

Is this not covered in book 1 ;)

Have you bought your fire valve tester yet.Or do you consider you are competent to stick the phial in a kettle?
They will try to ban blow torches next in case we burn our self.

Have you actually 'dipped' the tank to see what's in it?

Has the valve wheel broken away from the spindle and you're actually not doing anything turning it?

Does the spindle stick out after you have 'turned it on'?

I ask this because sometimwes the valve is one of the manual fire valve types where the valve turns opposite from what you expect. :rolleyes:

Is the oil flow from top of the tank because if so there will be NO flow by gravity if air has some how entered the oil line.

Needs suction pump to restore flow.

Thank everyone--I undid all the pipe connections and there was precious little fuel anywhere but no obvious blockage :confused:
I reconnected it all except at the boiler and as it is a top feed, I did a good old fashioned suck hard and don't swallow job :eek: to start the syphoning off, bled it through, and we are OK :D
BUT why did it stop syphoning on it's own :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back