Oil tank - distance from building using fire protection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to have a new tank installed at a property I have bought, the current one is an old steel tank.

Current location is right next to my neighbours garage. If I go by the letter of Oftec, they state the new tank would have to be 1.8m from my neighbours garage. This would put the new tank somewhere towards the middle of my garden...

So my question is, how much does a fire protection shield reduce this distance by? All I can find is it needs to be 30min fire resistant and extend 300mm above the tank height and to either side (which is not a problem given that the base also has to extend 300mm all round)

Also - are the shields special oil tank shields, or does it just need to be constructed out of non combustible material?

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
This is a notifiable job under building regs, so your installer needsto certify it for you. He will know the distances depending on doors , windows etc. and will advise what is best after reviewing the site.

I have (or had) an oftec engineer booked until he went out of business - in the process of getting another lined up. I'm trying to plan other things around the property and want to know how much space I have - hence the question. Can't find any answers on the Internet

Sponsored Links
Hi Robin,

Just a thought, but rather than purchase a tank then purchase and put up a fire retardant barrier there is a product on the market - the tuffa firestop - which has an integral fire protection material which will allow you to site the tank right up against the building, no space required to comply with all building regulations, and it can come complete with either 30 minute or 60 minute fire protection.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - yes I has seen that whilst I was researching fire protection. I couldn't see any prices but will look into this to see how they compare to the current Bunded tank I have been quoted for.

Thanks
Robin

Cheapest internet price for a comparable sizes Tuffa tank is £1940 vs £1300 for the standard Bunded tank I have been quoted for.

Question is would a fire battier cost less than £640 to construct...

My OFTEC inspector was a bit sniffy over some of these new 'fireproof' tanks being advertised.

There are issues with compliance and you will note that there is no OFTEC Cert on these - meaning an OFTEC installer won't be happy about using one where fire protection would otherwise be needed.

The website mentions an OFCERT OFS100 but, and this is not stated in website, this certification is only relevant to single skin basic tanks.

Simon,

With reference to your Oftec inspector, they're under legal obligation not to comment on the Tuffa FireStop product at all, and with regards to the inspector being a bit 'sniffy' is only a personal comment from this particular inspector.

There are NO issues with compliance in relationship to fitting the firestop product as the fire proofing has full local authority building control (LABC) system approval and these are the 'Building Regs' policemen NOT Oftec.

The tanks have EN13341 and are tested and certified to OFS T100.

rmgcook12 - i hope this helps. If you go down the fire proofed tank route, then perhaps you want to speak with the manufacturer direct.

Thanks everyone. I will discuss options with the installer on Friday - I dropped him an email and he said he has used 60 minute fire retardant boards in the past.

I think you should state whether you are in any way linked to the tank manufacturer. My OFTEC inspector did not state any specific make but referred to tanks being marketed as having internal fire resistant capabilities.

Do you wish to share why OFTEC are prevented from discussing your tank?

I think you should state whether you are in any way linked to the tank manufacturer. My OFTEC inspector did not state any specific make but referred to tanks being marketed as having internal fire resistant capabilities.

Do you wish to share why OFTEC are prevented from discussing your tank?

Good question Simon, I would be extremely worried about comments like that on an open forum.

First thought is what are they trying to hide :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should remind Mr Cook to check his insurance covers oil spillage.

I believe the fire resistant tanks are good if you get the local building inspector to sign it off. Oftec technicians can not sign them off as the tanks do not have oftec fire resistant approval. It may be the case that not all labc's approve of these tanks either so it's a good idea to ask them before you install to make sure they dont have a problem with it. Also you will have to pay labc for them to sign it off.
The fire resistant boards are good. Or a brick/block wall. Stix

I would go for a nice concrete block wall which must be 300mm higher than the tank, and 600mm longer (300mm at each end) the tank can then be placed close against the wall (allowing enough gap for inspection and expansion when the tank is filled
as for the Tuffa tank/Oftec thing - NO COMMENT :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back