oil top up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Mrs reported that one of the cars oil warning had come on. I'm not in the UK at the moment, so via FaceTime I took her through what to do (it was just below min). according to Volvo it takes 0W-20 Motor Oil. (XC90 D5). We only had 10-40 semi-sythnthetic laying around. Not ideal but better than running the car on low oil. She put about a litre in which brought the level up to just below the mid point. By my reckoning the car now has about 4l of 0-20 and 1 of 10-40w. It will get serviced in November anyway, so I'm assuming there wont be a problem until then?

Sponsored Links
Have you got the handbook?

I have a Pug where the owners handbook specifies quite a number of different oil grades, depending on the temperature of the region where the car will be used, but they overlap a lot, so in a temperate region like GB, you can use the "hot country" or the "temperate country" or the "cold country" oils.

Its very prescriptive and doesn't recommend different viscosities in different countries, which is a bit odd. As far as I can work out, it will affect the MPG and that's about it. Not sure how much 1 litre against 4 will impact it. Its only going to be in there a month or so.

Sponsored Links
The grade of oil, rather than its viscosity, is more important. If your car needs (say) ACEA grade "C3" oil and you put (say) "B4" in it, that's not so good. The viscosity (10W40) won't make much difference.

Just go on the theory that, temporarily, any oil is better than no oil!

Back