Car seems to be leaking oil.

Seat Garage wants €50 to connect to the computer and retrieve the code. I have some software that might help. Gotta go to work now, but might take the display off tomorrow, remove the radio, get the serial number for it, and run it through the software. Need is asap as my air con and front demister run through the radio.

Sponsored Links
Seat Garage wants €50 to connect to the computer and retrieve the code. I have some software that might help. Gotta go to work now, but might take the display off tomorrow, remove the radio, get the serial number for it, and run it through the software. Need is asap as my air con and front demister run through the radio.

Replaced Air con and radio fuses, and now air con works and radio powers on. Still need the code though! :) Steady progress!!!!

Just trying to catch up on this one....it looks like the original plug caps are those dreadful metal ones, and any water in this area causes them to flash over spark wise. However, thats now ok so lets forget about that one but the symptoms you've described are absolutely bang on - misfiring, engine lamp on etc.
The dipstick should have an 'o' ring at the top to help it seal.
I think the oil leak will return, unfortunately, and my guess would be either the camshaft or crankshaft oil seal. Not to unduly worry, but we do need to ascertain where the leak is! Its only if the engine was very much overfilled with oil that escapes would be from other places.
Can't help with the radio thing though - sorry!
John :)

Sponsored Links
John you might like to but this man out of his misery?

//www.diynot.com/forums/garden/burnerman-where-art-thou-stihl-combi-query.377193/[/QUOTE]

:mrgreen:

Hi guys. I do intend to find out where the leak is, and I do suspect that you are right John. It's a pity that it seems to be in that area, but if I keep the car another year or so and get another 20K out of it, while keeping an eye on the leak, perhaps then, when the belt is due a change, I can decide whether to upgrade the or repair the leak if/when doing the belt.

The new spark plugs are the top of the range, pricey ones and so hopefully no more engine light for a long time!!!

Another plus today, the radio came back on without the code!! Weird but I'll take it!!! :D Thanks guys for all the help, advice and laughs on this latest epic!!! I'll keep an eye on the engine for the next few days/weeks and if I find out for sure where the leak is, I'll report back to this thread.

Hi all! :)

Just wanted to report back, since I just had the repairs done. 2 Seals and timing belt kit replaced. Cam belt replaced also. Car feels and sounds better now. Check engine light has just come on but I'm going to have the code read now shortly. This morning the car was jerky enough when I started it, but when I gave it a little gas it settled. It feels and sounds much better, like I say. Just going to have the code read now and hopefully reset that and should be fine.

I did notice on a separate matter than when I brake shortly after starting the car, when the car is cold, the brakes make a sound like as if the pads were completely worn. But they're not. The pads are still around 70%. It's odd and only happens for the first few minutes of driving, while the car is cold?

Code checked. Coolant sensor was faulty. Replaced it and now all good. :)

Nice one! There's a good car in there somewhere,now approaching the surface......
John :)

Trigger's Broom!!! :mrgreen:

tve10441-19831110-258.gif

Sponsored Links
Back