Oil, varnish or wax my wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a late Victorian cottage with original wooden floors. I can't be sure of the wood used, but it must have been the standard wood for the time. Previous owners have varnished and painted the wood, but I would like to sand it and put on a finish that is easy to maintain. I am confused by all of the different products avaialble, (and also the price difference). Can anyone recommend which option is easiets to apply and maintain?

Sponsored Links
If ease of maintainence is important to you, i would suggest using a clear lacquer to finish, Bona products are excellent and good value for money, eg Traffic / Mega / or Novia, if you want the finish to look like it is an oiled finish go for the Matt finish (approx 20% sheen level) otherwise go for satin/silkmatt (approx 50% sheen level) both will look great if applied correctly.

Maintainence is laughably easy using the correct products, just a light brush then wizz round with the bona care spray and swiffer type mop and you are done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back