Oiling a deck - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a deck in late march. Its tanalised redwood boards I believe.
I want to keep it natural, but protected, so am going for Liberon DOCL5L Decking Oil in clear which appears to be the one most people recommend.

I spoke to liberon and they suggested I leave it a year before doing, but the colour is already starting to go grey so would like to get on with it. I assume most trade people dont wait that long.

Obviously I've been struggling to find a dry period to do this. Hopefully things are improving. Can anyone confirm:

1. How long before I start doing this should it not have rained? Is a day enough i.e. if visually dry?

2. How long must it not rain for afterwards? I've been told 48 hours, but that seems impossible to guarantee. What happens if it did rain a few hours later?

3. I'm a bit confused as to how much to put on, and in what order? If brush the oil on, how long is it until I can walk on that bit again without leaving footprints? And should the oil be really wet, or does it just need covering like you would with a paint? I keep reading that I need to remove any excess oil that hasn't soaked in, but that would by definition involve walking on where I've just oiled? Equally, I'll have to walk on it to do the 2nd coat. I'm looking at using a 4" loss-less brush or 4, unless anyone has better suggestions.

4. How long between 1st coat and 2nd coat?

5. Finally - deck is a big one, although square. Approx 9m x 3.5m. Roughly how long would/should that take to do 2 coats, and how many 5l tins would I use?

Sorry, that's turned into more questions than intended, but I want to make sure I have everything I need so I can just do it start to finish without having to pop out and get other materials.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
with respect, it's turned into a bit of a weird post... far too much detail... whack some oil on.. doesn't really matter what, and if it rains just after, do it again when it's dry.

Like anything, little'n'often...

And if it all goes wrong it'll cost a few quid but you just rip it out and do it again !!

I gave as much detail as possible to avoid additional questions.

I was hoping to get advice from people who do this on a weekly basis on what to avoid and what how to ensure it works first time.

I certainly don't want to have to rip it all out again.

And I'm also bright enough to realize that oil and water do not mix, so am asking the question of exactly what level of moisture I can get away.

If I listen to the manufacturers they tell me I need 3 days of no rain either side, but I'm realistic to know this isn't practical.

If anyone has any further advice other than chuck it on and hope for the best I'd be grateful to hear it.

Sponsored Links
Tbh with you most that decking after care stuff is a load of rubbish.
Its just invented to make somebody money and convince others to buy it.

you are better off power washing it of twice a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back