OK This Is A Long Shot........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a new toilet and connected it up, via a couple of feet of plastic pipe and an adaptor, to an old clay foul pipe. The floor round the toilet and the floor over the new pipe leading up to the clay pipe has now been tiled.

The clay pipe is in two sections a straight section about six inches long that connects to a right angled bend that goes down through a concrete floor. This whole section of clay pipe is supported from beneath by a layer of concrete about three inches thick.

The bad news is a that after about three days of using this toilet a damp patch has appeared where the two sections of clay pipe join.

Due to the tiling and the joists this whole are is extremely difficult to get at and I'm frightened to death anyway of trying to open the leaking joint as I'll only probably break the clay pipe and end up with even more problems. The concrete under the pipe also make this difficult as the pipe is 'sitting' in it.

The leak is not severe, like I said its only a damp patch but there is no way that I'm going to leave it and tile over the whole thing.

So here's the long shot - it there any chemical I could use to seal this from the inside? Anything I could pour down the toilet?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
More Concrete!!

:LOL: :evil: :LOL:

My wife suggested that as well. :D :D

The damp patch is in the concrete, so I'm thinking a bit of standing water is finding its way through the joint down into the concrete. Obviously the concrete is porous and so the damp will, eventually, go down through the concrete floor. :(

Sponsored Links
Take it out and start again

Hi doitall, I have a strong suspicion that that is the only solution, but the floor tiles are porcelain and cost me £18 each. Doubt I can lift 'em with damage.

Hence the cry for help! :cry:

An update.

I suppose I should have realised that the only solution was to remove the clay pipe and just got on with it.

After a couple of days of looking at it and hoping something would occur to me I gingerly started breaking up the concrete. It was a long job and once most of it was out I started to brake up the clay pipe at the end furthest from the joint.

I should add that I was doing this lying down flat on my stomach with my arms stretching back under the tiled section of the floor. The last section just collapsed and came out of the joint clean as a whistle complete with mortar that was holding it into the collar. It came out relatively easily so it's no surprise that it was leaking.

Anyway its all replaced with 110mm plastic and not a drop of water in sight.

If I'd done it before tiling the floor it would have taken about 30 minutes instead of two days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back