Okay to fit New felt on top of existing felt on loft conv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our loft conversion was completed in 1995 so is now nearly 20 years old, it has never leaked but at this age it can only be a matter of time. I have asked for costs from two roofers highly recommended in CheckaTrade. The felt is painted in a sun reflective paint finish but is now rather patchy.

The conversion is on a 1950's semi.

Roofer No1 says only option it to replace the lot, strip and re-felt at a cost of just under £3000.00. 10 year guarantee.

No2 says that he can offer three options, one as above also he can apply one additional layer of felting for under £1000 (No guarantee) or his recommended suggestion was to apply 3 layers on top of the original felting with the first layer spot tacked to the original flat felt, this would have a 10 year guarantee. I would end up with 6 layers of felt. This would cost £1800.

Is this normal, adding 3 more layers? I am concerned about the extra weight, felting being a heavy material but also realise that spread over the whole area this may not be a problem.

Being pensioners with limited savings the strip and re-felt is more than we can really afford, a single layer does not seem to be good value, that leaves us with the 'double up' which seems to be a good option. Can anyone confirm if this is a good/logical/cost effective choice?

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Checkatrade and all of those similar websites are the last possible places you should be finding a roofer on. Rareky there are poor reviews about anyone using them, the reviews are censored to the advantage of the people who pay for the websites ie the traders.

//search.diynot.com/forum_search.php?sortbytime=0&q=checkatrade&stype=0&page=1

Friends/family/neighbour recommendations are far better.

How big is the roof? Got any photos?

Thanks for your reply.
Both roofers are local and have been around for many years so have no reason to doubt they are okay. I will do some research on them anyway and always ask for details of local jobs completed then speak to them.

The conversion is approx 6m by 3.5m, somewhere I have some printed photos taken during construction but they are not on my PC.

At present I am more concerned about the technical side, in regards to is it a normal practice to double up etc? The original conversion construction was complimented on by the local council inspector.

The concern should be what they are trying to charge you, 3k for 20 m2 is a blatant rip off.

You can overlay, but 'one over the top' for 1k is again, a rip off.

Sponsored Links
I would shop around if I were you as it sounds like they don't need the work at those prices.

Thanks for the comments re pricing, I thought they were rather high! Could be the area we live in. However prices are always negotiable, the trick is somewhere between Rip-Off and Pay Cheap Pay Twice..... Its value not £.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to find out if double layering is a common and STRUCTURALLY safe option?[/u] Any known problems with doing this?

Thanks for your help.

PS. I tried to find a roofer using the DIYnot 'find an expert' link, apparently there are not any in my area, not any that want to pay £20 anyway :cry:

Getting a decent roofer in your area is easy. We do most of Hertfordshires schools and have lots do labour over that way. Put a pic up if you can.

Overlaying is not a major problem.

Hi Xenon.

I would like to put up a pic of the flat roof, unfortunately I get wobbly on anything above first floor so there is no way I would get to roof level :(

One of the roofers who quoted did take a pic and showed it to me, to me it looked okay but some of the sun reflective coating paint was patchy, he said it seemed okay but was rather 'tired'.

The overlay quote says;

approx 30 m2, 1st layer universal 3b glass fibre based felt, 2nd layer 2mm APP Polyester torch on underlay, 3rd layer Andersons high performance Vita polyester cap sheet. Finishing with high performance mineral felt flashings and welted edges.

What sort of price would be fair for the above?

My thanks for your input and I am sorry to be a pain but I do not want to be the subject of a 'Rip-off' as implied above!

He's got about 300 quids worth of material there, and a day and a halfs work
Your original will likely have a nailed layer or venting, and will rip off easy.

If it's solaflected, it will take a decent mineral overlay for about 800 quid.

Is it a bungalow dormer or 2 storey?

I get annoyed with so called roofers trying to mug people off, in particular, the older person.

Wow, fast reply :)

It is a 1950's two storey semi detached, ground floor, second floor then the loft conversion.

It seems the older customer is sometimes seen as an easy way of making a few bob, and it's damned annoying! My wife and I are carers for two disabled even more ancient relations (though nothing to do with this post!) so time and savings are under pressure in these times, but we are having a weeks respite break next week :D :D

Excuse me if I have mis-read your post but are you saying that the triple over layer should be about £300 + £800 or around £800 all in?

A single layer HT Mineral will go over fine and give it another 10 years plus.

PM me and I'll give you details. I'll also give one of my gangs the material to do the job, just pay them the labour. Probably about 500 quid.

Good people deserve good things.

Good on you Xenon!

Hi Xenon.
I have sent you a PM.

I really do not know what to say that adequately expresses my thanks, so for the time being it will have to be a plain

Thank you! :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back