Old back boiler? Removal from Victorian fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered this in my fireplace behind an air vent. It is extremely hard to chip out and seems to be sealed in. There is no airflow up the chimney. If I keep trying to remove it, could damage my chimney breast? Does anybody know what it is?

Thank you

JOHL

Sponsored Links
Probably an old heat exchanger once used to heat a hot water cylinder coil. They need to be made safe. There have been cases where people lighting fires have caused water trapped in them to explode. Safe DIY removal will depend on what you plan to do with the chimney.

What were you doing to discover the old boiler. What are your plans?

I want to expose the hole decoratively to store wood for the fire in the other room. I don't intend for it to become a working fireplace.

Sponsored Links
I want to expose the hole decoratively to store wood for the fire in the other room. I don't intend for it to become a working fireplace.

1) make sure it is not connected to cylinder. If you have a combi and cylinder, it will be disconnected.If you have a modern system with a conventional cylinder WITHOUT pipes going in where you would expect an immersion heater, it will be disconnected.

If you have a rectangular box type hot water tank BEWARE it could be connected.

Once established it is disconnected then chop away. You can't do harm, but there may be residual water in the boiler and it WILL be horrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back