old battery charger

Sponsored Links
The largest of my batteries is 90AH & I'd want it to charge up overnight (say around 15 hrs.) so a 10A charger?

A 10amp charger is only one limited to 10amps output. Once a battery has settled down to a charge, the charge current will drop considerably as the voltage rises. The minimum time I would expect to have a battery on charge is 24 hours, I would expect your 90 amp job to need 30+ hours, depending on how much discharged.

Yes, a modern Smart battery charger can just be connected and left to get on with it. It will decide the voltage, charge rate to apply and when the battery is fully charged.

I now give me car's battery a 20 minute top up, each day it is parked in my garage.

Thank you both for the replies.
I have ordered a Hilka 12A/4A smart charger … this will hopefully give me the best choice of change rates, depending on the state of the battery(s)
One car runs 90AH the other 72AH. The larger has removable plugs, the other is sealed & has a pretty green indicator to tell me if it's fully charged.
I shall research my choices more carefully when the 90AH (which I'm still dubious about) needs replacing :cautious:

A very Merry Christmas to you all, as for 2021 … :unsure:

Sponsored Links
What on earth makes you think that ? If it had an o/p of 12v it would start a car without any problem.

Experience of batteries being flat and not being able to start cars. 12v means the battery is below 25% capacity, which puts the battery well into the very lucky if it can crank an engine over range. My engine is very heavy to crank over and would not even attempt to crank at 12v - it checks the battery volts before attempting to crank.

Its normal with a fully charged battery for the voltage to drop to 9.5v during cranking and much less than that with poor battery. Modern cars have a lot of electronics and the electronics systems need to work during cranking, or the engine will be unable to start.

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/battery-test-car

I don't think any of that supports your theory that 11.5 to 12v makes a battery beyond redemption

The result of using an inappropriate charger

upload_2020-12-19_8-21-20.png

Sponsored Links
Back