Old car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ex boyfriend left a old french car in a stable/barn i share with some friends..althought old it has done very little milage and appears in good condition..is ther anyone who could give me some information about it and how i could go about putting it on the road

PS it starts and can be driven..i use it to move hay around the field
thanks Cynthia

Sponsored Links
first thing if its french registerd it needs to be registerd in the uk
then you need an mot to get the road tax to get the insurance

do you not have a local garage or traveling mechanic to advise!!!!

Thankyou for the information..it already has an English registration number but i don't know what sort it is..here are a few photos if someone could tell me what it is..it has a lion on the badge on the front..but the badge at the back is missing

Sponsored Links
thankyou..so i don't look silly at the garage do you know what the model is called..it's diesel and h reg but only done 3400 miles

I know that..thats why i included a photo of me opening the back....do you know the model name so i can look it up on the internet?

I didn't realise you meant the to look in your profile, it looks like a 406 to me 1.9 or 2.1 TD probably or something like that or maybe HDI not TD

another thought

if your car has been" off the road " for years it probably will no longer be registerd because if you dont buy road tax for so many years they assume its been scrapped and deregister them :rolleyes:

It's a 405 estate by the look of things. It's value depends upon a few factors :-

How much fuel is in the tank.
How long, if any, the MoT is
How much road tax is left.
How bald are the tyres.

Based on the above, values would range somewhere between £50 - £200.

Contact the DVLA to get it back on the road. Basically, it needs insuring, MoT'ing and taxing, that's it really.

It will probably need new tyres anyway, if it's been standing for a long time one its wheels: they could have developed flat spots, or the sidewalls have perished.

Change the engine oil, coolant, brake fluid.

Thankyou for all the help..it does not sound like it will be cost effective to put it back on the road..and a lot of trouble...i'll just keep it for moving the hay around the field

Mmm.. given that you can probably buy a 1998 (vs your 1991) ford mondeo with stuff like air bags and anti-lock brakes, and already on the road, for £200 I agree on it not being worth it

When it no longer functions thus, either use it as a chicken coop or see if a museum would be interested in it.. It might well be the lowest mileage 405 in the country bar the one that Haynes own ;)

Sponsored Links
Back