old ceiling - overboard, skim, replace or false ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to finally make a start on our bathroom and I want to sort out the ceiling before anything else. Its the original lathe and plaster one and is not only cracked but also has lots of old adhesive on it from the polystrene tiles that were when we moved it (and quickly removed!). Its also a bit mouldy as the bathroom doesn't have an extractor.

I did consider getting it skimmed but I was concerned about it cracking again. So I think we've got 3 options

1. simply put up plasterboard directly onto the ceiling.
2. pull the lathe and plaster down and put up plasterboard. Get it skimmed.
3. fit a false ceiling a few inches lower down and get it skimmed.

At the moment I'm tending towards pulling it down and starting again. I know this will be very messy but apart from that seems like a good solution. We've got access to above so thats not a problem for gettings lights fitted etc.

Would it be better to just overboard it or would the fact that its been mouldy cause problems?

All advice/opinions are welcome :)

Sponsored Links
far easier to lower and re-sheet! it will also make it easier to install new lights.

thanks for the reply.

why wouldn't you go for over-boarding? The more I think about it the better it sounds. The only problem I can forsee is the additional depth of the new ceiling for putting in the spots.

because it is old plaster laths, and it is cracked already.
i personaly would frame out below the existing ceiling assured that i would have a crack free ceiling for the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. :)

One last quick question - whats the recommended size of wood for creating a frame? Room is approx 10'x7'

I'm guessing 2"x2" might not be strong enough in the middle to hold the plasterboard unless I can attach it to the beams above.

3"x2" cls from your local bm will be adequate.

good luck. :D

Sounds good.

Is CLS a better grade wood or just different to the general softwood you get from the DIY sheds? I'm sure I've got some 3"x2" left over from another project which I could use if it was suitable.

Thanks once more. Will use what I have and get more to finish up.

Be warned - I'll probably come back and ask about the best methods for constructing a solid frame. ;)

I was much happier ripping mine out

It is however a very dirty and dusty job. Very satisfying though.

Then plasterboard and skim.

We only have about 8" above the top of wooden surround of the window frame so couldn't drop the ceiling too far anyway which had me re-thinking whether we should keep the existing level or not.

I quite like the idea of getting rid of the old mouldy ceiling and starting again.....

swings and roundabouts alf, whatever method you feel most comfortable with. :)

You'll have a 'friend request' in your inbox, as I was trying to get in touch to offer my assistance on your project. (Hope that wasn't contrary to forum rules...)

Nigel

Go on, do it, you know you want to.....

Just remember goggles, plenty of dust masks, bottled water & bucket to spit into, tape up the doors :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back