1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Old clay drains blocked

Discussion in 'Building' started by LEGH, 18 Apr 2021.

1. LEGH

LEGH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I live in a 1930's semi. Underneath our patio, there is a run of clay pipes which seem to be for run off water. They come across a neighbouring property but then I don't know where they run to as they can't be seen on the other neighbours property - get house us set further back. I don't imagine the pipes going under her house? Anyway...the clay pipes are blocked with silt etc. My patio floods when it rains hard. Does anyone know if the pipes are my responsibility or the water board? I've seen some info about ore-1937 houses but can't get to grips with it. I thought about lifting one of the loose pipes & jet washing but am afraid if might just block altogether further along. Can anyone advise? Thanks

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    old clay drains are usually cracked, broken and leaking, mud may have got into yours.

Please post photos of what you can see, and any manhole covers, and a plan drawing of what you think the route is. You can "copy and paste" from the files on your phone or camera into your reply.

look especially for patches of cracked, repaired or sunken paving, concrete or ground, which are typical around drain leaks.

try running a sik or bath and see if any water goes through them. And tip buckets of water down the gullies that your gutter downpipes go to.

Actual land drains are fairly uncommon.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the drains are shared, generally water boards responsibility.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links