Old Consumer Unit and Other Gubbins....Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - my surveyor is telling me that the house we've just bought may not need a rewire but most definitely needs a new consumer unit and possibly some work doing by the electricity board on the main supply cable - or something along those lines... Based on the photo below, can anyone extrapolate on this so I can at least read up on it before I get a sparky around?

Sponsored Links
What I don't understand is, why do many old houses tend to have 3 phase service fuses in them, surely we had less appliances back then, and no power showers etc??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
well that install has a cable in and a cable out so i guess they just joint the three phase in each property and then put each 3rd house on a separate phase. I have been in plenty of large old domestic properties with 3 phase supplies but rarely utilising all three phases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back