Old Cottage/Smaller Door Options Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have read a couple of threads on this but am aware it's an ever-evolving industry so hope you don't mind this ground being trodden again.

Looking at new front door - old house, wanted composite, had Anglian out and they said it's 1920mm x 930mm and therefore can't have composite as it's too short.

Not wanting to remove/re-do the nice brickwork arch thing from above the current door (160yr old cottage + cost + hassle), I was considering UPVC (had a quote of about a grand). The wife wants it in green which is doable but to be honest neither of us are that keen on UPVC for the look or potential security compromise (happy to be challenged on this if I'm being ignorant).

• Is it worth exploring custom composite? Reading online suggests it's possible but expensive as non-standard/uncommon
  • What about solid timber, fitted by a carpenter? Are they a bad idea due to expanding/shrinking/water ingress etc?
Security is a top priority for me in this process of course. General thoughts greatly appreciated as ever - Let me know if you need more info. Thanks all.

Oh and merry xmas etc.
Matt

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back