Old Double Light Switch Replacement - Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Saw a few of these posted but just wanted to check how I should be wiring this up. It's possible I have the wrong light switch (intermediate on google looks more like the old one)

Old double light (2 different lights) switch has this layout.

20230209_163736 (1).jpg

New double light switch has this.

20230209_164141.jpg

What needs to go where from the old to new? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Red wires in the C terminals need to go in the two COM on the new. You may need a longer bit of wire for the link.
The red and black on the left 1 & 2 go to
L1 1. And L1 2

The black on the right 1 goes to L2 1

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that the intermediate switch has the same wiring on the back, so I thought I'd just get one of those? Thoughts?

@RandomGrinch there is one in the backbox already but there's also one on the switch which the instructions "demand" you make use off- I have some spare earth!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I noticed that the intermediate switch has the same wiring on the back, so I thought I'd just get one of those? Thoughts?
Your existing switch has exactly the same function as your new switch.
Imagine a 'V' shape with common at the bottom of the 'V' and L1 and L2 at the top of the 'V'.
The only difference between the switches, is for packaging reasons on the new switch, one of the 'V's has been turned upside down!

Your picture of the old switch is not an intermediate switch.
It's the same type of switch as your new one ,it's just the layout of the switches that's different.
Follow Taylortwocities advice above.

Yes. And the earth terminal must be connected to the circuits earth conductors.
So if I use another spare earth cable I've got and run it from the new switch back to the wall bracket where the other earth is? Or should I remove the earth from the back box and instead put it on the back of the new socket? I did the former on the lights I just switched out.

I actually have the mains earth to the back box, and then a twisted earth from that same back box to the chrome switch. From what I can see it should be a-okay. I'll get another switch and follow Taylor's instructions (unless told different! :) )

Last edited:
You can add an earth cable from the switch earth terminal to the circuits earth conductors all joined together at the mounting boxs earth terminal.
Why are you going to get another switch ???

You can add an earth cable from the switch earth terminal to the circuits earth conductors all joined together at the mounting boxs earth terminal.
Why are you going to get another switch ???
I've used the other one on another double light switch I had :) Now I know it was indeed the correct switch to use, I'll go and get another.

Fun fact; as I was replacing the old other switch, I forgot that the switch served both an internal and external light - I forgot to turn off the external light circuit/RCD. It was a nice shock .... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back