Old double switch wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have changed all the lights switches and sockets in the house. However this is the last one and i need some help.

The switch is at the backdoor. One swith does an outside light and the other switch the light in the hall.

I have purchased a replacement chrome fitting.

Along the top is A B1 B2
The bottom is A1 A2 B

I have attached pictures
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
The terminals of the first switch are marked A, A1 & A2, so the wires move from the A terminals to the new switch as follows:

A = COM (left hand switch viewed from the back)
A1= L1 (left hand switch viewed from the back)
A2 = L2 (left hand switch viewed from the back)

And for the second switch
B = COM (Right hand switch viewed from the back)
B1= L1(Right hand switch viewed from the back)
B2 = L2 (Right hand switch viewed from the back)

Last edited:
Thank you Stem for the very quick reply. I will try this now and see how i go.

Don't forget the new switch being metal requires an earth connection. I assume that there is an earth wire connected to a metal backbox that's not shown in the photo.

Some rely on the switch fixing screws going into the earthed backbox to make the connection, but I prefer to run a wire to the terminal provided on the switch. 'Belt & Braces' approach. :giggle:

Sponsored Links
Thank for the help, both or you.

I just have one question (sorry if it is a stupid one) So on the old switch A only has a wire to B1, so the two triangles are effectively linked

So on the new switch do I still need link the two sides. So where A will now be the left COM, do i still need to run a bit of wire down to L1 on the right

Thanks
Nick

Only by the fact that the link is the electrical supply to switch A from one of the red wires in B.

The two operations of the switches are completely separate.

Yes, still needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back