2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could someone help with this one please.

I have a double light switch that operates 2 ceilings lights simultaniously. and one hall light. The double lights can also be switched from another switch the other end of the room.
Now the wires have come out when decorating and i cant figure wich ones go were.

the back of the switch is marked

A B1 B2
A1 A2 B

The wires i have are red blue and yellow bundled in one.

red, and black with a red sleve bundled in one

and

red, and black with a red sleeve bundled in one again.

Thanks in advace for any help

Ian

Sponsored Links
I take it one of them is two way, i.e. switched from two points.
Go to the other switch and find out how the red, yellow, blue wire is connected and replicate this at the original switch (I'm assuming you're using A, A1 and A2 side of the switch for this). Connect from one set of red black, red A1 and black A2.
For the other light connect red to B and black to B1.

If the wrong light is switched 2way, swop the red/black pairs over.

If the light switches end up the wrong way around, exchange A with B, A1 with B1 and A2 with B2.

Thanks spark123

Iv taken off the other switch and that is also a double and controls the 2 lights and aslo the landing light which is again 2 way.

There are 2 outer cables in the switch
and the colours are

blue with red sleeve b2
yellow with red sleeve b1
red b

and again

blue with red sleeve a1
yellow with red sleeve a2
red a

Thanks Ian

Try:
Red 3core- A
Yellow 3c and red 2c - A1
Blue 3c and red 2c - A2

Red other 2c B
Black 2c B1

Sponsored Links
Plan B - study how 2-way switches are wired so that you can sort it out on the basis of understanding what is going on, rather than following instructions to insert-this-colour-into-this-hole without a clue as to why.

Look in the For Reference topic....

Yes - my idea is that you should look in the For Reference topic.

At that switch you have a two drop cables (the twin & earths) and one 3C+E linking the two-way side of the switch to the other two-way.

You'll find diagrams showing how all of that works, and should be connected.

I'm not being unhelpful - the only way you will ever be safe is if you take the trouble to learn and understand...

Thanks spark 123, I took note of what ban-all-sheds said and now know how to wire up a 2 way light switch.
The thing i wasnt sure of was the c, l1 and l2 how they compared with my a, a1 and a2 but its sorted now and thanks for all your help.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back