old drain pipe under new block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i plan to block pave my drive later this year, but there is a drain pipe runs under it to the sewer in the street. at one end, its about .8m deep from surface to about 1m at the other end. i will have to dig down about 30cm from existing concrete drive which its under (about 15cm thick).

whats the best way to avoid damage to the drain? will probably be using a mini digger and large demolition drill to remove existing concrete

not sure what the drain is made of, but looks like easy-to-shatter clay stuff. house was built 50/60's

Sponsored Links
if a drain is relatively easy to access and it is interfering with the dig, then we sometimes grub it out and replace later in the day, using a drain plug where necessary.

if it is down 800mm then you should have no trouble with it. if it is below the main drive then it should be encased in concrete.

if a drain is relatively easy to access and it is interfering with the dig, then we sometimes grub it out and replace later in the day, using a drain plug where necessary.

if it is down 800mm then you should have no trouble with it. if it is below the main drive then it should be encased in concrete.

i think there will be at least 500mm between the top of the pipe and the surface at all times, just not sure whats around it now and if there would be any problems with using a plate compactor above it. it probably is surrounded in concrete but there isnt really any way of knowing at this stage (or is there?)

i doubt a regular compactor will have any effect on anything that low down, but drains should be encased in concrete where vehicular traffic is an issue.

use the digger to carefully dig along side the drain. expect the concrete to be at least 10-15" wider than the drain so allow for this when excavating. ;)

Sponsored Links
thanx for that, i dont really plan to dig down to the drain anyway, just looked under the covers earlier to see how deep it was so it should be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back