Old Drain - What is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we purchased a house last April I always had the intention to break up some concrete bays and dig down to the clay.

I am wanting a garden so I am trying to prepare the area ready for top soil to be delivered.

The house is approx 200 years old and a long time ago there used to be out buildings, I have heard rumors of an old black smiths shop and even an old fish and chip shop but I am unsure what was in place back then.

Anyhow while digging out I found what looks like an old man hole cover which is capped off about a foot down with cement, next to this is a huge piece of sandstone (I think) I have been trying to break this up with a big hammer and iron bar but it will not budge.

Does anyone know what the setup is with this or know anything about this type of stuff.

As far as I am aware all the drains are disused now, there are several that are just blocked up/disused.

drain2.jpg

drain3.jpg

drain1.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated. ;)

Sponsored Links
Go steady there. It's not unknown for people to uncover a previously capped well.

Sponsored Links
We got a builder round yesterday who had a look, he said he feels that it isn't a manhole drain access because the sides are too thin (not brick) also he feels that it is too small for an old septic tank, to be honest I am no wiser.

I was told that it is not in use and does not seem to be connected to any drains & that if it were him he would remove it (the large piece of sandstone I am talking about) The square capped off thing I will keep and maybe grow a plant in it as I am in fear of causing expensive damage if I break it up.

When we get a skip at the weekend I will get rid of the rubble and dig out some more to see if it moves any easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back