Old dual flush loo only giving single flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dual flush cistern operated by a lever at the side. It is supposed to give a short flush, (half the cistern) if the level is depressed and let go. For a full flush (whole cistern) you press and hold the lever. I know the toilet was installed in the early 1980's.

I had a plumber come and look at it and he said it was working OK. He tested it by flushing a single piece of toilet paper. He also suggested that the force of the flush would be reduced by a build up of deposits under the rim over the years.

Does the plumber know what he is talking about or is it just an old cistern he doesn't understand or know how to repair.

Is it possible for it to repaired and return to a full flush which is needed sometimes.

I do know the difference between a half and full flush but the plumber left me feeling as it I didn't know what I was talking about but I can remember the cistern emptying on a full flush and now it only ever half empties even when the lever is pushed and held.

Sponsored Links
The plumber may have held the lever down, but with nothing in the loo to flush, he couldn't know if the flush would then prove sufficient for the job. As you know it's not working properly, I suspect the best option would be to get a replacement flush unit, rather than try and repair it.

These basically work by the simple addition of a small hole in the syphon, that when the water drops below the level of the hole, it allows air in to break the syphon and stopping the flush half way. Keeping lever pushed down effectively blocks this hole allowing a full flush.

Either the syphon wants refurbishing, (straightforward job for any good Plumber), or possibly replacing. Different heights of syphon are available to suit the size of the cistern, but they are readily available and not too expensive. http://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-dual-flush-siphon-220mm/20824

Thanks for the comments. It look like he didn't want to replace it. I will provide feed back to the company that sent him as I reported that the full flush didn't work and he left not doing anything about it. He only resolved one of the two issues I reported, the easy one of replacing an outside tap.

Sponsored Links
To check flush, take the top of the cistern off, flush and lift (usually full flush) lift and hold (usually short flush), does it empty the cistern or only empty half that will tell you. If the syphon is 37 odd years old then it'll be time to replace it, chances are it will be knackered.

To check flush, take the top of the cistern off, flush and lift (usually full flush) lift and hld (usually short flush), does it empty the cistern or only empty half that will tell you. If the syphon is 37 odd years old then it'll be time to replace it, chances are it will be knackered.

A push down and let go flush half empties the cistern. A push and hold the lever down used to empty the cistern. Now push lever and hold down is the same as push lever down and let go. i.e. half empties the cistern. You have managed to grasp the issue when the plumber who came couldn't understand the problem.

Scary the difference that experience makes isn't it. Get someone else in, the guy you had clearly wasn't an experienced plumber.

I thought I had. I joined one of the companies that advertise with my water bill. Will have to ask them to send someone else. Another day wasted having to stay in as they won't even give a morning or afternoon time slot, only specify the day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back