Old electric heating. Is there a better way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old electric central heating consisting of this 7kw heater and an under cupboard water heater feeding the hot taps. It's really expensive to run.

Would a modern electric boiler make much difference? Or any other ideas? There is no gas in the flat so can't get a normal boiler.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230126_110442.jpg
    20230126_110442.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Most electric boilers are classed as 100% efficient, in other words 100% of the energy used is transferred into the water, so you cant really get any better.

Apart from insulating things to minimise pipe heat loss and heat loss from the fabric of the building there wouldn't be much else you could do I don't think.

I agree with @Madrab, the problem is that electricity is an expensive form of energy (about 3 times the cost of gas) However, if you have a lot of cash to invest then you might want to consider a heat pump, but assess the pros and cons very carefully.

Heat pumps don't actually generate the heat, as their name suggests they just move it from one place to another, in this case outdoors to indoors. This means that the energy they use is to drive the pump (compressor) and not to actually produce the heat. Under perfect conditions some claim to be 300% to 400% efficient, in that 1kW of electricity can provide 3 to 4kW of heat. (so about the same or a bit less of the cost to run as a gas boiler) in reality though, based on personal experience of them, I'm not totally convinced.

The initial outlay can be high though. The existing radiators may not be big enough and need replacing as heat pumps don't get the water as hot as a boiler can. Also, insulation is important for the same reason, otherwise the property won't get warm enough with the lower temperatures. I would expect the cost could be in the region of £8,000 to £15,000 for an ASHP and up to £40,000 for a GSHP.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Definitley dont have the money for an air source pump. I was wondering if a modern boiler may be more efficient than whats there which is about 20 years old? I assume thye are both considered 100% efficient and its just became its electric, not the efficiency of the old water heater?

An electric element does not become less efficient, it either heats up or it doesn't, unless it scaled up of course, are you in a hard water area?

In plainer terms, a 20 year old element that's clean, is just efficient as a new element that's clean, if you see what I mean be it the CH or the Water Heater.

Even a scaled-up element would be 100% efficient. However, the insulating effect of the scale means there will be a greater than normal temperature gradient between the inside and outside of the element and hence a greater risk of element failure.

I'm wondering if there's a way for you to find a time of use tariff, run the boiler at cheaper times of day (night) and store the heat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back