Old english recipes Sheeps head broth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am amazed that nobody responded to my previous posting on this subject. May it was because I included it in another topic about hysteria and that in turn degenerated into a discussion about the female aspects of hysteria.
However just in case I attach the recipe once again

Sheeps head broth

"Get your butcher to split a sheeps head in two. Remove the brains and clean the head thoroughly. Put the head in a large pan ,cover with cold water and salt and bring to the boil. Pour of water, cover again with cold water, adding two ounces of barley.
When boiling , skim and add a carrot and turnip cut into dice and two or three leeks cut small. Season and simmer for about three hours.
Half an hour before serving add one grated carrot.
Lift the head onto a hot dish, add chopped parsley to the broth and serve in a hot tureen.
The sheeps brains should then be soaked in cold water and vinegar to whiten them,and then boiled for ten minutes in boiling salted water.
Serve on toast or make into brains cakes."

Sounds tasty, eat your heart out Jamie Oliver.
If anybody wants any more recipes or useful tips I will only be to happy to oblige.

Sponsored Links
we had that when i was a kid it was only because we where poor

its offal m8 pure and simply manky food :cry:

i can even remember my uncle ( who worked in a abbotoir ) bringing one of them home in a dish :eek:

omg the memorys makes me feel quite sick

I've never tried an English sheeps head soup but I have tried a Turkish one and I must say it's delicious. I love offal, and the fact that you lightweights don't keeps the prices extremely low. And it's extremely good for you, very low in fat and very high in vitamins and minerals.

Sponsored Links
Don't know why people turn their noses up at offal - why worry about a sheeps head when rump steak is just a cow's backside?? :LOL:

Slogger, your showing your age if you ate this stuff, this book is over 75 years old, I'm no spring chicken and I came from a deprived background but I can't remember being fed this. Are you sure your not getting it mixed up with brawn. Wasn't that a mixture of various cheap parts of meat?
BTW what is a brain cake and has anybody ever had one?

keyplayer said:
And it's extremely good for you, very low in fat and very high in vitamins and minerals.

Yes, especially the trace elements of mercury found in the livers of many ruminants. ;)

drspock said:

Oh yes it's lovely, we usually garnish ours with kitten's tongues and rat spleen. Mmmm.

Well, you can't move for poor deprived riff raff at St John London.

My parents, being of the WW2 generation eat everything. You name it they eat it. Manys a time I came in from school to find a pig's head on the kitchen table with one or both parents trying to gouge its eyes out because they wanted to make brawn.

Oxtail soup, (yuk) tongue (even more yuk) tripe - and the smell from that used to make me gag and retch as soon as I walked in.

The list goes on, stuffed hearts, brains, pigs' trotters. I told them I had become a vegetarian just so I didn't have to get involved with any of it.

chainsaw_masochist said:
keyplayer said:
And it's extremely good for you, very low in fat and very high in vitamins and minerals.

Yes, especially the trace elements of mercury found in the livers of many ruminants. ;)

I don't eat a great deal of liver, or kidneys, and when I do I tend to buy organic.

Liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, black pudding - all fine by me.

Tried hearts once - found it very tough, but maybe it was too old or badly prepared.

Brains - I found them utterly tasteless.

Tripe - never tried it.

In the same book is the following headed "culinary economy" which probably accounts for the "sheeps head broth"

The english generally speaking are very deficient in practice of culinary economy; a french family would live well on what is often wasted in an english kitchen.
The bones, dripping , pot-liquor, remains of fish, vegetables, etc, which are to often confined to the grease pot, or the dust heap, especially where pigs or fowl are not kept might, by a very trifling degree of management on the part of the cook, or mistress of the family, be converted into sources of daily support or comfort, at least to some poor pensioner or other, at an expense that even a miser would scarcely grudge.
This neglect is due to want of thought rather than ignorance, and one notices that greater attention should be paid to such matters.
The absurd notion that frugality was only another name for meanness was also to blame for a good deal of waste.

drspock said:
Slogger, your showing your age if you ate this stuff, this book is over 75 years old, I'm no spring chicken and I came from a deprived background but I can't remember being fed this. Are you sure your not getting it mixed up with brawn. Wasn't that a mixture of various cheap parts of meat?

ah i stayed at my nans a lot and they where into anything that had a pulse could be eaten

dripping on bread ( coronary ) :eek:

the worst cut has to be lap ( lamb necks or summit ) usually full of fat and manky

well they still serve up bags of pork scratchings in the pub!!! Hairy ones too, and I dont mind the hairy ones! Thats culinary economy!!!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back