Simple cheap wholesome cooking recipes

H

holmslaw

Lets have your simple cheap wholesome cooking recipes, sort of thing your grannie used to cook. Heres mine;
The most warming meal you will ever have forget your curries and hot spices, warms the cockles of your heart - yea I know its the wrong time of the year.
For two hungry and cold people.
2 large onions and 3 large spuds sliced about 8mm thick
8 raw sausages of your choice.
Layer onions and potatoes add sausages and continue layers of onions and spuds.
Add water about half pint, mucho black pepper, bring to boil and then simmer for about an hour.

Sponsored Links
holmslaw said:

Not sausages; corned beef! Alternate layers of potato, onion and corned beef, always finishing with potato. No added water - or stock either - and no need to add salt or other seasonings because the corned beef has enough already.

Cook it with a lid on until the spuds are done. My mother used to put it in a cool oven but I use the microwave. :cool: :cool: :cool:

And now for something completely different ---

I learnt this out of necessity while living in a bedsit with minimal cooking equipment.

A pound of decent quality mince (NEVER buy cheap mince), a tin of baked beans, a tin of kidney beams and some chilli powder. You can't really go wrong. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
and do you brown the mince or just simmer it? Why no onion?

coley boiled with rice,smothered in tomato ketchup and stirred. Yummy and filling

Open tin of beans and boil (11p asda)
3 slices of bread in toaster (asda own 45p a loaf so around 4p)
toast on plate, beans on top and a splash of soy sauce!!! (1p)

LOVELY and all for 16p

You forgot to say pierce the tin, then heat in a pan of boiling water - saves on washing up :LOL:

army ration packs.
i eat them alot when im fishing longer trips.they are lovely these days

army ration packs.

Even better..

Bacon & Onion Dumplings.

1/4 lb suet
1/2 flour (plain)

12 Rashers of smoked streaky bacon
2 onions
2 small potatos
Cheese (if you like it)

Roll out the mixed suet & flour mix (with seasoning). Fill with all the other stuff well chopped up and foll in the 'pastry mix' . Boil for a couple of hours and cool.

Slice and fry with your basic fishing pans. A little oil. A tin of beans (seperate) or a tin of peas.

Lovely!

Dave

army ration packs.

Even better..

Bacon & Onion Dumplings.

1/4 lb suet
1/2 flour (plain)

12 Rashers of smoked streaky bacon
2 onions
2 small potatos
Cheese (if you like it)

Roll out the mixed suet & flour mix (with seasoning). Fill with all the other stuff well chopped up and foll in the 'pastry mix' . Boil for a couple of hours and cool.

Slice and fry with your basic fishing pans. A little oil. A tin of beans (seperate) or a tin of peas.

Lovely!

Dave

i have fond memories of eating the old -

"spent all my money on booze so no takeaway food for me cobble together some stuff left in the fridge" - type of meal.

this would usually be beans on cheese on toast, garnished with whatever: tabasco, branston pickle, marmite, hp sauce hellman's.

mmm. :LOL:

Lets have your simple cheap wholesome cooking recipes, sort of thing your grannie used to cook. Heres mine;
The most warming meal you will ever have forget your curries and hot spices, warms the cockles of your heart - yea I know its the wrong time of the year.
For two hungry and cold people.
2 large onions and 3 large spuds sliced about 8mm thick
8 raw sausages of your choice.
Add water about half pint, mucho black pepper, bring to boil and then simmer for about an hour.

Sounds a bit like "Coddle" My Gran (god rest her soul) used to make me this when i was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coddle

Two of my favourites are both soups: one is a Rose Elliot veggie recipe.

Pistou: (you could always "meat it up" if you wanted, I suppose).

Carrot, spud, courgette (or leek) and onion, all chopped/ diced small, tinned toms, tinned haricot beans, small pasta shapes, Stock & basil (if dried add at beginning, if fresh, at the end).

If you like, add some dumplings towards the end. Meal in a pan!

Celery, tomato & apple (or pear works surprisingly well too, I found) soup.

This we found at a farmhouse cafe & I made my own version.

A head of celery, chopped finely, an onion ditto, two tins of chopped toms & two apples (or pears) peeled & diced & stock. Don't be put off, it's scrummy!

Sponsored Links
Back