old fashioned compression joint!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Doing some work on an old cottage - most of the pipework circa 1960. Don't know if anyone can help me with this one - maybe I should be trying Antiques Road show.

There's a leak at a three way junction - seems to be an old-fashioned compression joint. Rather than having the olive on the outside the pipe has a flared end and what actually looks more like a real olive on the inside of the compression joint.
This has corroded away with time. I'm loathe to do a lot of work on the pipes and have patched this up best as possible with PTFE tape
- but still not 200 per cent.

Just wondered if these old type olives are available anyplace? Looks like the equivalent of a 15mm pipe but is bound to be an imperial measure.

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yes they are available but you need a special tool to bell the end out.

Why not get an 15mm compression tee and a few socket.

Hi sounds like someone used an underground soft copper fitting they were flared at the end and had the loose ollives i would have thought they would have used kingley compression fittings in those days you might still be able to get the ollives and fittings if you do a bit of searching you did not say what pipework it was fitted to ??? if it is anealed copper which whould normally be used underground it needs those type of fittings dont forget there were no soldered ones about in the early days and they would be 1/2" imperial you can always cut it out and reconnect with 15mm sockets and a new T peice

Sponsored Links
bobgrant.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back