Replacing a compression joint on a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got this radiator. It's really old, and slightly rusty, but is (as far as I know) sound.

I want to fit a thermostatic valve to it. I've got the valve (four pounds from Screwfix...), I've drained the system, uncoupled the radiator, etc.

The problem is that the radiator was hooked up using compression joints, that are now looking pretty ratty. The valve has nice, shiny new ones. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the old ones off; the olive has been bonded quite impressively onto the pipe. I can't simply cut the pipe, because it's not long enough.

What's the best way of doing this? Can it actually be done in a way that leaves the end of the pipe in a decent state? Do I actually need to --- can I just screw the valve straight onto the old compression joint and (with the help of PTFE tape) count on it making a good connection?

Sponsored Links
well, if youre very careful. i use a junior hacksaw ...with feeeeeeling....just cut it till youre nearly through, then prise off with small screwy...ie place screwdriver blade in the hacksaw cut.......and twiiiiissssst........... :LOL:

........just re-read.

...if the olives are ok, just bung ptfe on em. i would. if it leaks, it leaks...torque to destruction..and if that dont werrrk. change the olives.

Sponsored Links
mate, you need to press the search button.

steptoe51.jpg

Ptfe is worth trying. Otherwise a setting joint compound like Fernox LS-X

I would take take the old valve out completely with one of these
Wrap Ptfe tape on the new valve and screw in with the spanner. :D
Try an olive remover tool for your feed pipe olive.

The olive removal tools still leave the pipe deformed tho

ChrisR said:
The olive removal tools still leave the pipe deformed tho

Defeats the object of using one then :eek:

I won't be investing in one if that is the case. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back