Old flag hinge doesn't appear to have any adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
External door, originally fitted by Everest over 20 years ago has moved in the frame which causes it to stick. Made worse when heated by the morning sun.
The flag hinges look like this:
20230407_125959.jpg

There is a hole where normally you would insert an allen key to adjust the lateral movement, but there is only the end of the screw thread:
20230407_134048.jpg

There is space available between the edge of the door and the hinge, to make an adjustment, but I cannot see how to do it.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does removing the 4 fixings in the plate with DIN RS written on it give you a better look? For example is the intent that those 4 fixings removed, the whole plate spun on the screw thread and then the plate re-fixed?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
On closer inspection of the photo I could see a hex shape which takes an allen key. All the keys I had tried were all too small.
Managed some adjustment, but need a key with more torque......

Thanks for the replies.
On closer inspection of the photo I could see a hex shape which takes an allen key. All the keys I had tried were all too small.
Managed some adjustment, but need a key with more torque......
At the risk of stating the obvious use the correct size Allen key.

Apologies I hope the OP won't mind me jumping in on this thread as I have a similar question and I would be very grateful if anyone can assist. We have two patio doors with flag hinges. After installing some dog bolts, there is now a slight gap of approx (2-4mm). After reading up, I found the my door flag hinges adjustments are located the same as the following diagram:-

flaghinge1.jpg

I know that in order to close the gap, I need to turn the compression (plastic gear cog) screw at the top. However, when I use the allen key, although it is a perfect fit, it is constantly slipping and this same issue is happening for all the hinges. Here is my flag hinge:-

IMG_20230408_132127.jpg
IMG_20230401_192431.jpg
IMG_20230401_192327.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Spray with WD-40 and if possible take the weight of the door somehow, I usually open the door enough and use a scissor jack under the door. With this hinge after you've adjusted the plastic cog make sure you get two opposing holes lining up so the pegs on the cap push into them, this is crucial as it locks the plastic bush in place and stops it unwinding when opening and closing

Spray with WD-40 and if possible take the weight of the door somehow, I usually open the door enough and use a scissor jack under the door. With this hinge after you've adjusted the plastic cog make sure you get two opposing holes lining up so the pegs on the cap push into them, this is crucial as it locks the plastic bush in place and stops it unwinding when opening and closing
Thanks crank39. The problem isn't that it's stuck, but due to the allen key slipping, it's wearing down the gearcog hole. Not sure how taking the weight off the door will make any difference, although happy to try it.

Is the plastic cog surely, definitely, free to turn? In your picture it looks like something stuck in the locking hole at 12 o'clock position? Have you considered clearing all the locking holes by running a small drill down them?

Thanks very much for your tips. Unfortunately due to the wet weather here, I'm going to have to delay it a little. I'll definitely give your suggestions a try and will report back. Thanks so much again :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back