Old FUHR 4 roller lock - urgently need latch end - REWARD!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house six months ago with a UPVC front door fitted with an old style 4 roller FUHR lock. The lock seems in good order and works fine using the rollers but the end of the actual door latch itself is missing. It obviously once attached with a single bolt which made it reversible but this was obviously the problem because it must have worked loose and fallen off long before I moved in and the previous owner never bothered to put it back.

This is annoying because although I can close and lock the door by pushing the handle up and using the roller cams the door won't latch when it's simply pushed closed. Visitors seem to find this a challenge and I often find the door unlatched and swinging freely. My wife and I are opening up as a B&B soon so the door is likely to be an issue - I have visions of the house being left unlocked all the time.

I bit the bullet yesterday and shelled out £40 for a complete new FUHR 856 4 point mechanism only to find it didn't fit because the new ones use a flat rail rather than the old U-shaped ones. I've found out I can get a mechanism that 'will' fit, at a price, but before I bite the bullet I thought i'd ask on this forum and see if I can find a replacement latch end.

If there are any UPVC fitters or anyone come to that who come across an old FUHR mechanism with the latch end intact that will fit and are willing to post it to me i'll be your friend for life and there's a 'drink' in it for you!.

Details are - the old lock FUHR mechanism is the type without a mortice bolt and is stamped with the number 8502. I think the latch end will measure around 25mm long by 8mm wide and have grooved ends. It's difficult to be exact here as I've obviously never seen one! I've posted two pictures so you can see what I mean. I really hope someone can help as i'm loosing the will to live with this door!

BTW before anyone suggests it I did contact FUHR UK for help - to say they were a waste of space was an understatement!

Sponsored Links
Well yes I see your point - but i'll give them a call in the morning anyway, you never know.

To be honest i've tried a number of places already and come to the conclusion my only hope was to find a fitter somewhere who was ripping out an old door with the same mechanism. I hate junking stuff for the sake of it and my lock is fine apart from the missing latch end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks pinenot - i've just fired off two emails to both companies with details of what I need. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Just an update... UPVC Spares4Repairs did their best to help out even to the extent of going through their old bits and pieces but to no avail. They've promised to keep a look out for me. A good company - worth remembering. Lockfinder on the other hand didn't even bother to reply. Chalk and cheese!

I'm going to hang on and continue to use my old lock in the hope that our B&B guests can cope with it, but the offer's still there of a few quid if somone can find the right FUHR latch end. :)

Thanks pinenot for your help and interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back