Old GEC Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all, i have an old GEC fusebox in the living space of my flat and was wondering if its my responsibility or the Electricity Boards responsibility to remove/modernise. It looks as if it feeds the other flats upstairs.....and is probably filled to the brim with asbestos given how old it looks. any advice highly appreciated!

[net][/net]

Sponsored Links
Don't touch it and the asbestos will be fine.(If it's DNO property then you shouldn't anyway) Try your luck with the DNO but if there is nothing immediately wrong with it then it will stay unless you want to part with ££££'s

How do people end up with fuses/switches for other people's properties inside theirs?

If Larry was the sort of person who, out of safety concerns, turned everything off when he went on holiday, if he also didn't have a clear understanding of what did what, and had possibly a quite reasonable expectation that if it was in his flat is was all his, then he might end up turning off the supplies to all the other flats just before he left his flat empty and locked for a couple of weeks.

Assuming there are any switches for the other flats, which there probably aren't.

If there are, then turning them off just before locking up and leaving for an extended period would not be a nice thing to do, no matter how much he felt it would be an excellent way to drive home the unsustainability of the current arrangement to all those involved.

Interesting point - I wonder who would be responsible for the contents of the other tenants freezers. Would a forced entry be reasonable if, say, Larry was abroad ?
Maybe one sticker is all it would take - 'DNO Property - Do Not Touch or Operate' ?

Sponsored Links
Would a forced entry be reasonable if, say, Larry was abroad ?
IANAL, but I doubt that it falls into any of the categories which would give commercial organisations the right to force entry into private property.

Or if it does it *&^%£$!"#@ well shouldn't.

Maybe one sticker is all it would take - 'DNO Property - Do Not Touch or Operate' ?
Can someone really be forced to accommodate the property of a commercial company which is of no benefit to them?

I would guess it's down to history? I was working on a group of buildings and this
was what I was faced with. I was just too big to reach them could only take a photo and I had to add a RCD elsewhere with a new earth rod.

It does not really matter why but where one can't access equipment one can't service it, and getting the DNO to visit at the same time as an electrician so their equipment and your equipment can be up graded at the same time can be hard.

Clearly the power to the other flats would also need turning off so likely it would mean each tenant plus an electrician plus the DNO all arriving at the same time.

You don't have RCD protection and clearly it would be nice to add that but only you can decide if it's worth the cost to upgrade. At the moment from what I can see replacing the consumer unit would be easy as there is a big main switch to turn it off. Although not sure what other tenants would say! However if they all rang the DNO complaining of no power I suppose they would have to do something about moving it all.

The picture I have shown also feeds three buildings however all used by the same man. But clearly in the future that may not be the case. In fact he wants to demolish the building with the meter in and the only reason it has not been demolished is the electric supply.

What we need is a leprechaun electrician who can get in the space.

How do people end up with fuses/switches for other people's properties inside theirs?

Generally because the building undergoes a change of use but the owner doesn't know of the need or want to pay for, the necessary alterations to the internal wiring or the supply arrangements.

From our side we keep coming across these and have to try to modernise them, but getting owners to pay for their own electrician is usually impossible.

Generally they are not unsafe enough for us to force the issue so we have no powers to do anything about them!

I would guess it's down to history? I was working on a group of buildings and this
was what I was faced with. I was just too big to reach them could only take a photo and I had to add a RCD elsewhere with a new earth rod.

It does not really matter why but where one can't access equipment one can't service it, and getting the DNO to visit at the same time as an electrician so their equipment and your equipment can be up graded at the same time can be hard.

Clearly the power to the other flats would also need turning off so likely it would mean each tenant plus an electrician plus the DNO all arriving at the same time.

You don't have RCD protection and clearly it would be nice to add that but only you can decide if it's worth the cost to upgrade. At the moment from what I can see replacing the consumer unit would be easy as there is a big main switch to turn it off. Although not sure what other tenants would say! However if they all rang the DNO complaining of no power I suppose they would have to do something about moving it all.

The picture I have shown also feeds three buildings however all used by the same man. But clearly in the future that may not be the case. In fact he wants to demolish the building with the meter in and the only reason it has not been demolished is the electric supply.

What we need is a leprechaun electrician who can get in the space.

That fusebox, or something near it looks to have had a moment! Seems warped at the top and the area is blackened :D

IMGP4128.jpg
This is back garden 6HA of it. Any surprise it gets a little damp and white wash leaches off the walls.

Your Service fuse block (that big box made by Siemens) looks very old - the sunburst design looks like it dates from the 1930's.

It may have double pole fusing in it - in that case the DNO should replace it free of charge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back