Old Gravity back boiler - weird problem - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is bit long, but please stay with me as I really need some advice!

Just moved into an early 1970's house with a Glo-worm 54F back boiler / flame effect fire front.

The system has a small HW Immersion tank, gravity fed to the boiler and an underfloor pump for the CH to 10 rads, with no diverter valve fitted.

I'm aware of the limitation of this design where you must have HW On to have CH, but even though the roomstat is kicking the CH pump in and out correctly and the boiler fires up, the rads won't warm through until some HW is drawn down first, then everthing goes fine for the rest of the day :confused:

That said, the Rads at the end of the loop do take a long time to warm up, and i've noticed the HW is always really hot and doesn't seem to repond to dialling-down the HW tank's strap on stat. The HW tank is too small BTW, and you have to wait some while to draw a 2nd bath.

A friend who used to fit CH systems has looked at the system and noted that the loft HW header tank's water is warm and very dirty. he also noticed that two extra rads had been tapped into the system (extending end of loop) at some later stage for a 2 storey extension and that the Back Boiler is probably underpowered.

The CH pump is providing a good pressure, so we drained the sysem down, introduced a cleaner and then flushed out 2 weeks later - an awful lot of black glutinous debri came out of a rad we had to remove to set up a drain point. The sytem was fully de-air locked when we brought it back up.

This hasn't really fixed anything - possibly speeded up the warm through slightly :(

My friend has recommended a complete re-install - isolating the Gloworm's boiler (although leaving the fire front active), fresh installing a Worcester 35CDI HE Combi and replacing all the rads with new. He will also fit an electric shower as our existing Power Shower will not function.

He has agreed to get the parts and do the job wit hme helping for only £1800 - which seems an awfully good deal indeed. He also wants to replace the 22mm pipes with new 15mm for efficiency / pressure reasons.

However, would it be better to just get the existing system running properly instead - if so, do you have any ideas what's wrong please - or should I just grasp the nettle and get a modern high efficiency system?

On a final note, we really like our good Showers. The fitted one is only a Mirage 2000 Power Shower and nowhere near the most powerful, but I'm worried that an electric thermostatic shower even running from mains CW pressure would be a real retrograde step.

My friend's solution is for another £200 more he can fit a Conventional Boiler, make the system fully pumped and put a bigger HW tank in so that we can keep / future upgrade the Power Shower - but obviously we would lose some of the efficiency the Combi would give.

I'm completely stalled here, but really need to do something - what would you advise please?

All ideas gratefully receievd.

Kind Regards
Dig

Sponsored Links
well they are

combi will only heat the water that is required and no more, thus saving on gas as you are not heating a hot water cylinder twice day and only using a percentage of theheated water.

as for ther heating side there is no difference (economically)between convential and combination boilers

The down sides of combis are, no back up hot water supply (ie Imeersion Heater), mains incoming water pressure and flow rate MUST be within a specific parameter not enough and they are rubbish

Combi's are relatively easy to install so they get intsalled by lazy installers in inappropriate situations.

£1800 for a worchester 35CDI HE is a brilliant price and if you go for it make sure he is going to clean up the existing system properly or your warrantee will be invalid and the boiler will die prematurley

Many thanks guys - so the concencus is that I should go for the new system, is it?

It looks like I should go for a conventional rather than combi to get the max shower pressure.

Kind Regards
Dig

Sponsored Links
Shower depends on how hard you pump the water to it and what valves/ head etc you use!
35kW combi will give you a decent shower assuming adequate mains supply.
Electric showers are not good
Do not underestimate the importance of cleaning all that grot out of your system. But bear in mind you can never clean it all - Fernox only claim 80%, so if you get 60 there's plenty left.
A good system with a good shower , is expensive!

Many thanks to all...
BTW - any ideas what is going wrong with the current system?

Regards
Dig

Could be that the boiler is triggered by the cylinder stat and the pump triggered by the roomstat. If you put a zone valve or at least a relay on the heating side you could also control the boiler from the roomstat.

Alternatively you could disconnect the cylinder stat during cold weather and rely entirely on the room stat.

What is probably happening is that though the pump is on and the roomstat is calling for heat the boiler is turning off as soon as the cylinder is warm, maybe hour or two of heating.

Not to say that sludge isn't also a problem, look up Chris's method of flushing rads with mains pressure. Hire a power flush and spend a day getting cold and wet in the garden powerflushing every rad, then another half day in the house powerflushing every rad via the pipework, and also the boiler. Improve the controls (so heating is better controlled) and install a new 170 litre bs 1566 indirect cylinder.

Hard work and determination will sort your system out.

Check you have 5cm squared permanent ventilation per killowatt net heat input of the appliance deduct 35 cm squared and that is the size of vent. For most back boilers uou are looking at 75 to 100 cm squared. Mostly performed with a great in the carpet, and relies on air bricks to get outside. Clear away cobwebs from all airbricks with a stick.

Again, very much appreciated.
BTW is the HW header header tank indicative of leaks from the boiler or immersion tank?

Kind Regards
Malc

Just a thought, there used to be a winter / summer setting in some old systems. Under summer, the cylinder thermostat controlled the boiler directly - better contol of H/W temp in summer.

Under winter, the above direct H/W contol was cut so the boiler stays on controlled by it own thermostat. The room stat just runs the pump. H/W temp is contolled by the boiler stat (too hot). I think there were change-over contacts on the room stat so you had some contol of H/W temp.

To achive the above, turn the H/W stat high so it dosn't have an effect. Turn the boiler stat down a bit say 3/4 - you will get very hot H/W but at least you will get continous operation on the CH.

Change the controls
Do the flushing thing
Keep the boiler till either gas prices treble or you can no longer get parts for it

is the HW header header tank indicative of leaks from the boiler or immersion tank?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thank you again - all your replies ar much appreciated indeed.
I just reread my last post and realise in my tiredness I'd typed it so it didn't make sense :oops:
What I meant to ask was:

The small HW header tank is getting warm to the touch - what could be causing this please?

Kind Regards
Dig

The do get warm, by convection as the hot water passes the junction. You can reduce it by making the pipe join from underneath, but expanding warm water will go up the feed pipe.
If it's HOT you may be getting pump-over, where hot water comes out of the vent into the header tank. This is a bad thing and must be rectified

The small HW header tank is getting warm to the touch - what could be causing this please?
Chris has answered the question but I would just like to add that when connecting the feed from below you would create what is known as an anti gravity loop. This eliminates what is known as one pipe circulation up the feed pipe where the hotter less dense water 'flows' up the inner core of water and the colder denser water 'returns' down near the walls of the pipe

"Anti-Gravity" sounds very science fiction to me :D

Seriously though, from the kind replies I've had in this thread, might it be better to renovate the existing system, using this idea, clean through the rads, upgrade the Immersion tank and make the system fully pumped with a 3 way diverter?

Bottom line, would we get better service from our existing cast-iron Gloworm boiler of indeterterminate age than a brand new lightweight job as proposed?

Thanks to all for their kindness and friendliness in this Forum - much appreciated indeed.

Kind Regards
Dig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back