New house, old boiler HW OK but no CH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some help getting my CH on.

I just moved in to a 1970's house with an old floor standing Potterton Kingfisher boiler. The HW seems to be working fine, but not the CH (only 2 rads get warm and I suspect this is may due to convection from the HW as both rads are in rooms directly above boiler.
The boiler is in the kitchen on the ground floor, the room stat (cranked up to 80 to make sure it's on) in the lounge on the 1st floor and the HW cylinder on the 2nd floor.
Only 2 rads are getting warm, and on the remaining 7 cold rads, the inlet pipes are still cold so there's no heat getting to them at all.

- I've sussed out the ancient timer switch, and confirmed it is set to fire both the HW and CH.
- I've bled all the rads once and confirmed they're full of water
- I've confirmed the header tank in the loft for the CH has water in it.
- I can't seem to find a CH pump anywhere (not next to boiler, in loft, garage or HW cylinder)

Any Ideas what I should check next?
is there such thing as a CH system without a pump?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kevplumb,

the only place I have not looked yet is under floor boards and behind the plasterboard panelling that boxes some of the pipes in. I just thought the pump would be in an accessible place.

I just thought the pump would be in an accessible place.

oh you mad fool you
lol-020.gif

Sponsored Links
Pumps SHOULD be in an accessible position!

Sometimes under floors, sometimes behind panels!

Have you looked all around the cylinder?

It could also be INSIDE the boiler casing too !

"Hunt the pump" !

Tony

On some Kingfishers the pump could be fitted inside the case. Take the front panel off and have a look.

Sorted. Got a plumber to do it. Pump was behind a stud wall under a kitchen unit. It was indeed stuck but working now.
Cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back