Old house,,,,new kitchen,,,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I are renovating a 100 year old farm house in southern Germany. The construction is what they call here Fachwork ( 200 mm square wooden uprights and crosspieces filled with sandstone and clay and then plastered over). It's a really solid consteuction. Problem is nothing is level or plumb and I don't mean just a little bit out. One wall in the kitchen from bottom to top leans back 90 mm :eek: . Due to limited space and the kitchen we would like, we want to fit a 2 m. high cupboard to this wall. Is this possible. I've fitted kitchens before but everything was reasonably straight, level and plumb. I don't know where to go with this. Any body out there dealt with this kind of problem before. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.....Kev.....

Sponsored Links
Don't fit it to the wall. Make a plinth so you can stand it on the floor. Don't go and ruin a house for some modern fashion that will pass all too soon.

If going for a "fitted" kitchen you need to have the carcased bearing on the floor and just braced from the wall for stability. You will need wider than normal side panels that can be scribed to the wall to hide the gap ate the back, The infill on this wall is wattle & daub- (sticks & mud) but with a bit of fiddling it all stayed up, part suspended from the ceiling joists.

The other option is to have a free standing dresser type unit.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys. Oilman, I think I was hoping for someone to come along with an easy fix when I know really there isn't one. This house is so out of shape (I think it's called character) that if you stare at it for long enough you feel like you're falling over. I think I might have to track down one of the old school carpenters (called Zimmerman here) and get some advice. Jasonb, thanks for the pics. I wish we had that much space. We have an old wood stove taking up one wall but I think my wife would throw me out before she'd throw that :eek: ...Kev....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back