Bricks to use for repair of sandstone wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the kitchen in my old 1830's house and upon removing the existing units, discovered that there is a large hole in the brick wall. From what I can tell, the walls are constructed of two layers of sandstone with rubble between. This is an external wall. The hole is around 600 mm x 500 mm x 400 mm (WxHxD), or about 24" x 20" x 16" in old money.

I've read that I should use a lime mortar (as a cement mortar will result in water ingress into the sandstone). But I’m not sure if I need to use (expensive) sandstone bricks, or if I can just use ordinary clay bricks? The hole is only on the internal side of the wall and the internal wall will be plastered (most likely dot dab plasterboard first).

Any tips on how to repair this? I don’t want to leave it as it is, despite the hole having been there for a considerable length of time.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the experts will kindly answer if there is a photo to help them :)

I was thinking you could even use block???

You are sure about the plasterboard as opposed to a breathable plaster??? It may well be best, was just wondering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back