Old Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler no Pilot Light

I have the current thermostat set to maximum setting 6, guess that doesn't effect the flame going out in any way?

Sponsored Links
This site does not support DIY gas work.
This site does not support DIY gas work.

Mods were did i say how to fix this boiler himself ? what i did point out was harry bloomfield was talking nonsense, at least you removed some if not all of his drivel

Hi all,
I had called in another elderly engineer who used to install the boilers in his days. The thermocouple that the previous guy fitted wasn’t installed correctly and would move about causing the pilot light to go out. all sorted now and boiler seems to be working fine.
Thank you for all your advice as you guys saved me changing the thermostat or gas valve for no reason.

Sponsored Links
I would like to see someone take apart a V4600 gas valve, swop parts ( not available) to bring it back to life
That would be fun and educational.

At what point does this boiler become unecomonical to replace? A new boiler is 1K to buy - Do you really spend a few hundred to repair a 40 year old boiler?

Im asking as I am looking for a replacement !

At what point does this boiler become unecomonical to replace? A new boiler is 1K to buy - Do you really spend a few hundred to repair a 40 year old boiler?

Im asking as I am looking for a replacement !
A new boiler expected to last about 10 years

A mexico will easily last 10 years or more

Modern boiler if it needs repaired outside the warranty period, will cost a fair bit to maintain. Will be economical compared to mexico thou

MexIco will need very little in terms of parts, thermocouple replaced regularly, cheap to maintain. More expensive to run but better controls will make a big difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back