Old immersion cable...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to isolate the immersion cable that fed the old hot water tank. Needs to be completely removed as a new shower is going in that place. the old switch is still attached to the wall Its still live and I have traced it under the floor boards but not sure where it goes from there. What's the best way to safely terminate this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
usually Imm is on its own fuse/breaker in the fuseboard, if your old switch has a neon light on it switch it on so the light comes on then switch off or remove the fuses / breakers one at a time till the light goes off, 15amp or 16amp usually. if you find the breaker that controls the switch and it doesnt feed anything else you could just leave it off and terminate the cable on a junction box under the floor.

if you feel confident enough you could open up the fuse board and pull out the cable completely this will also free up a way in your fuseboard

You should disconnect it completely at the fuseboard end. Leave a note on the old cable to say "old immersion feed".

The neutral is considered a live conductor. Leaving it connected may cause problems if work or an inspection is done on the installation later.

Sponsored Links
I got a new consumer unit fitted a while ago and there is a 16Amp MCB which is scribbled out next to the 32Amp cooker wasn't sure if it was this one, Why the guy connected it up I don't know!. The switch neon light does not seem to turn on and I am only testing the cable with a Fluke voltstick. I wasn't sure if it was good practice terminating it below the floorboards with a JB so this may be the easy option.

Yeah hopefully if that MCB only serves that immersion cable then I will pull the cable from the board. Would there be anything else that could be using that feed?

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

:LOL: What I meant was is there any practice to use that feed for anything else, not being a spark I wouldn't know what else it could be used for.

you could use it for the pump to a power shower..
or for underfloor heating...
or anything else that a 16A supply might be usefull for in whatever area the cable will reach if re-routed..

OK thanks, I'm assuming spurring off this cable is not acceptable practice? Also if the MCB which I think is the one for the immersion actually isn't, where else would this be coming from? I do have the use of a tone generator which I suppose could trace the cable back to the CU?

Cheers

Errm I was hoping to isolate the power to the house before attempting this! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back