Blanking off old immersion switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old immersion switch in my kitchen that is still live but no longer needed. I would like to remove the old switch faceplate and fit a blanking plate in its place.

Once I've turned off the supply to the switch and removed the faceplate, is it possible to terminate each individual cable into a separate Wago 221 terminal block, push all the wires back into the backbox and then cover with a blanking plate? Does it then matter whether I turn the supply back on or leave it off?

Please let me know if the above would be ok or not?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can do that - and leave the supply off would be better.

Is there still an outgoing cable which used to go to the immersion?

How about fitting a socket instead of the switch?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't need a socket in its place so I'm happy with just a blanking plate. There might be an outgoing cable although I'm not sure - would this change things or would it still be ok to go ahead and terminate each cable?

Sponsored Links
If the circuit is not being utilised ,I would disconnect it at the consumer unit. If you are not comfortable doing that ,then seperate all the conductors and isolate them individually at the switch position.

Terminate the supply Live and Neutral in separate connectors, connect the earth wire to the back-box.

Connect the three outgoing wires together and connect them all to earth.

I wouldn't be comfortable disconnecting it at the consumer unit so I'll just isolate at the switch and blank it off.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a go at it a bit later and post on my progress.

Well here's what I've done, although I'm now not sure I've done it right after re-reading EFL's post!

20200727_175457.jpg

Should I put the three outgoing wires in a 5-way block instead and add another earth cable to it with the other end running to the backbox with the other earths perhaps?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I've found the other end of the outgoing immersion heater cable upstairs in the airing cupboard. It's just been left in a hole and covered with insulating tape (see photo).

20200727_180133.jpg

Would it be worth fitting a proper backbox here with blanking plate and terminate all the cables together in another Wago connector? I know they're not connected to the switch/mains anymore but I'd prefer leaving them in a better state than just a cable in a hole.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't need a socket in its place so I'm happy with just a blanking plate. There might be an outgoing cable although I'm not sure - would this change things or would it still be ok to go ahead and terminate each cable?

You could add a socket at the switch position, or at the end nearest where the immersion heater was located, if you link the cables through behind the blanking plate.

Do you know for sure that the cable with tape on is the same cable ,have you done any continuity tests ?

You could add a socket at the switch position, or at the end nearest where the immersion heater was located, if you link the cables through behind the blanking plate.

Thanks, but I'm happy with just blanking plates as I have plenty of other sockets at either end if I need them.

Do you know for sure that the cable with tape on is the same cable ,have you done any continuity tests ?

No I haven't done any continuity tests so it is just an assumption at the moment that it's the same cable. I've used a voltage tester on it and it's not live, but I'm aware that if it's not the same cable it could just be switched elsewhere and potentially still live. Although if this is the case I have no idea where that might be.

I'm just thinking I'd like to terminate it more neatly than just covering in insulating tape and leaving it in a hole in the wall. Or should I just leave it as it is?

Put each conductor in seperate insulated terminal blocks , not all together in a communal terminal. And in a box with blanking plate.

So it would be better to remove that 3-way connector block in my previous photo (that all the outgoing wires are connected to) and just connect each colour wire to its own terminal block instead? Do I keep the earth cables as they are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back