Removing Master of a Two Way Switch

D

Deleted 100157

I currently have two lights controlled by two switches, one light and switch in the hall and the other light and switch in an area becoming a cloakroom and laundry. I need to remove the switch in this area as I realise it is not allowed to be in a bathroom area. Unfortunately this is the master switch and I do not have access to the secondary hall switch cable to run it directly to the lights.

The only solution I can think of is to remove the master switch faceplate in the new cloakroom, connect the wires using small connectors as necessary within the existing recessed single gang box and replace the switch with a blank faceplate (so the join is accessible). I would rather remove it completely but can't see how this will be possible whilst keeping the hall light and switch working. The question is, am I allowed to have a blank faceplate within Zone 2 of a bathroom and if so are there any special blank face plates or connectors that are required.? Can anyone think of another solution?
Thanks for your help.
Dave[/b]

Sponsored Links
Take the service through the wall and have the switch outside the room?

The room is becoming a cloakroom containing a toilet and a sink and it has a separate small cupboard off of it with the washing machine and combi boiler.
The location of the switch is with 60cm of where the new sink will be.
It is in a load bearing internal brick wall, I might be able to push the switch through the wall but that puts it in the lounge area and as I don't actually want the switch, I would put a blank faceplate on it anyway. So if I can leave it in the bathroom with a blank faceplate, there would be no point.
Any more thoughts? Thanks - Dave

Sponsored Links
Only rooms containing a bath or/and shower are bathrooms!! So as yours doesn't you can keep the switch. :p

What cable is in the switch ,if it is one three core.
There is a good chance the other end is in the opposite switch, you may be able to disconnect it there and refit that switch to work one way.

or

Could you isolate the power cut the cable in the loft above the unwanted switch and seal it off there in a j/box, joining the cld common and L1 wire together and the L2 terminated on its own.
if the other switch is then upside down swop L1 and L2 over.

Well the fact that the bathroom rules don't apply without a bath or a shower is very helpful. So that being the case, even though the switch is less than 60cm away from a sink, I assume it is still legal to leave it there?

There is no doubt the switch is the master of the pair, it has the three core running to the first light and a four core running to the other light switch. Unfortunately it is on the ground floor so I can not reroute things without pulling down the ceiling.

So my best bet at the moment seems to be to leave it as is ... although I don't really want the switch where it is at all as it is stupid having the cloakroom light turn on and off with the hall light and vice versa!

Thanks for you advice.
Dave

I would say as long as the switch is 300mm minimum away from the sink, that is sufficient.

I currently have two lights controlled by two switches, one light and switch in the hall and the other light and switch in an area becoming a cloakroom and laundry. I need to remove the switch in this area as I realise it is not allowed to be in a bathroom area. Unfortunately this is the master switch and I do not have access to the secondary hall switch cable to run it directly to the lights.
take a two terminal peice of chock block

take the wires that are currently in com and L2 and put them all in one terminal of the peice of chock block.

take the wires that are currently in L1 and put them in the other terminal of the peice of chock block

cover over with a blanking plate.

Hello All,
Well I have now done the work and I have a lightswitch which controls the cloakroom lights located within the cloakroom 40cm above the cloakroom sink (and the hallway switch cable passes through a connector in the back of the socket).

However, I have just had an electrician around and he has advised that I am not allowed any light switch in the cloak room, even though there is absolutely no bath or shower. There is only a sink and WC.

Now I am confused .... again. He seemed like an honest bloke and I have not asked him to change it so he does not seem to be just trying to get work.

Any comments and more importantly, can someone refer me the place in the regs that states what is or isn't the correct thing to do here. It is now going to be very difficult for me to change it to a pull cord if required. There is always the sensor option but that is pricey!

Advice appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

The regulations prohibit most accesories in locations containing a bathtub or shower tray.

A WC contains neither, so no special regs apply. All it needs to be is suitable for its location, which I would consider a standard switch to be provided it is not sited within 300mm of the wash basin.

As a side note, supplementary bonding (cross bonding) is not required in a WC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back